Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dres

Can't update dataset parameter programmatically

Hi, 

we're using the C# SDK (Microsoft.PowerBI.Api.V2)  to automate the process of creating new workspaces with a single dataset/report by cloning an existing one (kind of like a template). The datasource is a web endpoint, and it uses a paramter which needs to be upated for the new dataset.  Unfortunately that last step returns a forbiden error (operation is only supported for the dataset owner), which makes no sense because the operation is being run under the same account that creates the dataset to begin with.  Here are the steps we're taking

1. Create a new instance of the  PowerBIClient class using the app registration accoutn details (works)
  2. Create a new workspace (works)
  3. Get the template dataset and "clone it" into the new workspace. This is done by reading the file and using the  PostImportWithFileAsyncInGroup function (works)
  4. Ge the new dataset's name (works)
  5. Use the UpdateParametersAsync function to update the paramter so it points to a different datasource (fails, forbbiden error)

var paramRequest = new UpdateDatasetParametersRequest(new UpdateDatasetParameterDetails("paramName", "paramValue"));
await client.Datasets.UpdateParametersAsync(group.Id, newDataset.Name, paramRequest);

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious, but it makes little sense that the account that's creating the dataset in the firstplace, can't update the parameter because of permissions.   If I navigate to the PowerBI App and check the new dataset access, it show the app registration as the owner.  If I check the dataset settings, some of the options (including the parameters section) are disabled because "This dataset has been configured by AppRegistrationName (App ID: 00000-0000-0000-0000-00000000). Would you like to take over the settings?" 

That's a clear indication that the app registration account is indeed the owner of that dataset, which also happens to be the account that runs the whole process, so why would I get a forbidden error??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

A couple weeks back there was a fantastic Power BI Dev Camp that talked about this in great depth. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

A couple weeks back there was a fantastic Power BI Dev Camp that talked about this in great depth. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.