Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

clqLoveSpace
Advocate II
Advocate II

Can't set up PowerBI Embedded payment because of annoying restrictions on workspace sharing

Hi, I thought I would post here because, to put it bluntly, the support ticket I raised has been completely unhelpful in resolving this issue. I got a missed call from an Indian phone number after explicitly stating on the ticket that I wanted to be contacted by email. He told me to let him know a good time to call him and then didn't leave any contact details. I'm not calling a number from India to tell you to contact me by Email Microsoft, read the ticket! I've had no follow up email or anything so I have no idea what they are actually doing with my ticket.

Anyway - onto the issue at hand. We have been developing an embedded report into our own website using the free tokens you get development with PowerBI Embedded. We have now used these tokens and would like to start paying for the service. However, the frustrating thing is that we need to do this through a capacity in Azure which means we need to move the development onto our Azure account. We bought our Azure subscription through Aptum which ended up giving us an account that isn't linked to any of our organisation accounts. This is a massive problem because now we can't share the workspace with this account.

We don't want to have pay for ANOTHER Azure account when we already have one. We would like to be able to move our current Azure subscription to an email address that is inside our organisation, or otherwise include this email address as part of our organisation.  Why does this have to be so complicated Microsoft? We have had a support ticket with Aptum open for 4 days now and they haven't been able to resolve this. We need this to be able to pay our third party partners.

Please can someone here help?

1 REPLY 1
MattCalderwood
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @clqLoveSpace 

If I understand this correctly.... your Power BI tenant is linked to your organisation, but you cannot assign it to a dedicated capacity in Azure because your Azure subscription is not configured to use your organisations accounts?

If you have administrator access to the Azure subscription, are you able to add your organisational accounts as guest users?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/b2b/b2b-quickstart-add-guest-users-portal
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/b2b/add-users-administrator

I dont know if you will hit another issue further down the road... but in theory, as long as you can allocate the Power BI dedicated capacity administrator role to someone who also has access to administer the Power BI workspaces - then that 'could' work.

Sounds like an unfortunate situation to be in, and I am surprised that MS support haven't been more helpful.
They are normally quick to get things moving if you are wanting to spend money with them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.