Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wpq

Can't assign a capacity to workspace via API, 401 Unauthorized

I have a user, with whom I can assign a capacity on app.powerbi.com/group/id in settings -> premium.

I also have an azure app with all delegated permissions (embed for customer scenario).

I programatically clone the workspace, refresh dataset and the last step should be assigning a capacity for the workspace.

https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/capacities returns  

{
 id": "some id",
 displayName": "Premium Per User - Reserved",
 admins": [],
 sku": "PP3",
 state": "Active",
 capacityUserAccessRight": "Assign",
 region": "North Europe",
 users": []
}

But when I use the returned capacity id in body request for this endpoint:
https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/my-workspace-id/AssignToCapacity, I get 401 Unauthorized. 

What can be the issue here? Running out of ideas

3 REPLIES 3
cstrempfer

I had the same issue with a Microsoft Fabric capacity in Azure.

The account that calls the API must be configured as Capacity Adminstrator in the resource's settings. RBAC roles are not sufficient in this case.

menita_s

I have a similar problem. I am using ServicePrincipal in my API. I am able to successfully create a new workspace, add admin users, create/clone datasets/reports. But I cant seem to assign the workspace to a embedded capacity.  I get the below exception 

Microsoft.Rest.HttpOperationException: Operation returned an invalid status code 'Unauthorized'

Is this is known issue. Please respond if anyone has a solution to this problem. My entire POC rests in a successful creation of workspace through API without any manual interaction 

Menita

wpq

The problem persists, any ideas? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.