Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bhushangawale
Frequent Visitor

Can metadata be associated with reports in app workspace?

Hey folks,

Trying to develop a SaaS application using Power BI embedded, where I need to show the filtered list of reports from an app workspace based on the logged in user.

E.g. If an app workspace contains 10 reports, and when user A logs in to the application - only 5 reports would be shown and for user B, 8 out of those total 10 reports would be shown.

If reports published in an app workspace contain metadata where I can associate users or user's role with each report then it is quite straighforward to achieve but I am currently unaware if this is possible.

Any pointers how would I achieve this using Power BI Apis?

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bhushangawale,

If reports published in an app workspace contain metadata where I can associate users or user's role with each report then it is quite straighforward to achieve but I am currently unaware if this is possible.

I don't think there is such functionality in Power BI service currently. I would suggest you add it as an idea on Power BI Ideas forum to improve Power BI on this feature. Smiley Happy

Any pointers how would I achieve this using Power BI Apis?

As there may not be a direct way to it, I'm wondering if you could generate a table with all users and a report list for each user, and then store the table in your database or somewhere else. So that you can retrieve the table to get the corresponding list of reports, and show them on your application. Smiley Happy

Regards

Thanks for your response. 

Done posting new idea for Power BI service.

About maintaining the table with users and reports association, yes that could be a workaround to cater this scenario however it wont be an easy solution in maintenance perspective. 

E.g. if you think of a scenario, where you hundreds of workspaces containing another hundreds of reports. Creating and maintaining association table for each reports in app workspace for each user would be too much, also the table would need to be updated everytime whenever new report is publised.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.