Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Red217
Helper III
Helper III

Can i download or get notify when a user changes a slicer value on a report ?

Hello, 

Can i download or get notify when a user changes a slicer value on a report ?

case scenario: i have a report with about 20 slicers, 

i want to get notified or even better be able to see "all changes" that users are doing.

is it possible? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Red217,

If you mean edit the filter and save the change to the report, it is possible to get the operations from active logs.
If you mean the users only change on the 'read view' mode, I don't think you can directly trace these.

Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

HI @Red217,

Here are two methods that may suitable for your requirement:

#1. Use power automate with rest API to trace activities and send email notifications if they are suitable for some conditions.

Custom Connector in Power Automate/Microsoft Flow ... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Re: Trigger Flow on Condition - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

#2. Get data from rest API activity logs to power bi and set data alerts to trace the flag.

Solved: Pull data from a REST API Authentication - Microsoft Power BI Community

Set data alerts in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi @Red217 

It's not quite clear as to how they are changing the slicer and there are two scenarios.

In the first one users are opening the report as a viewer and interacting with the report. There is not long term effect to this as the state of the report is not changed and the next user to open the report will see the report as it was originally published.

The second scenario is that the user is opening the report to edit it then save these changes. if this is happening and it should not be then it might be easier to make the user an [viewer] on the workspace and not one of these roles (admin;member;contributor). if you cant change the role type for the user then you could use the power BI activity log to determine when and who made changes to the report (Although it won't tell you what change they made). If you need that level of tracking perhaps a tool like Power BI Governance, Disaster Recovery and Auditing (powerbisentinel.com) would help.

Regards

Michael Johnson 

If this or any other post helped you please consider giving it a thumbs up or marking it as the solution

Hi Mike, 

When user are interacting with reports, their filters and slicers are "remembered" , it has been like this from the update in 2019.

i think its called filter persistency .

i want to get a notification when a user changed their filter , about specific filters, is it possible ? 

Hi @Red217,

If you mean edit the filter and save the change to the report, it is possible to get the operations from active logs.
If you mean the users only change on the 'read view' mode, I don't think you can directly trace these.

Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Thanks

i mean can you "Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs" inside POWERBI, i mean get this track activity as a data source that i can view INSIDE of PowerBI ?

HI @Red217,

Here are two methods that may suitable for your requirement:

#1. Use power automate with rest API to trace activities and send email notifications if they are suitable for some conditions.

Custom Connector in Power Automate/Microsoft Flow ... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Re: Trigger Flow on Condition - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

#2. Get data from rest API activity logs to power bi and set data alerts to trace the flag.

Solved: Pull data from a REST API Authentication - Microsoft Power BI Community

Set data alerts in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Thank you , this is great, exactly what i needed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors