Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sally8953
Frequent Visitor

Can Power BI authentication, embedding etc be done offline?

Hello,

I'm a student developer and I'm researching on Power BI so please don't mind if I ask silly questions since my knowledge is not great in it.

I had few questions if we deploy our application on customer premises where there is no internet connection. 

1) Is it possible to authenticate the app in azure whether using service principal/master user offline? and does the app have to be authenticated only once or every time the app is to be accessed? Is there a workaround if no?

2) If I recall, in order to embed the report in our application we require access tokens to gain access to the Power BI API. In offline mode would be still be able to generate access tokens and gain access to the Power BI API? any workaround?

3) Regarding capacities, do capacities work even in offline mode? 

If any of you have personal experience in deploying a power bi application on premise offline, would appreciate any workarounds or suggestions. 

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sally8953 ,

Embed for customers support two authentication methods: master user/ service principal. 

As far as I know, the workload that generating embed token should be online. And the embed token's default lifetime is assigned a random value ranging between 60-90 minutes (75 minutes on average).  So each time you want to see the embed report after life range, you need to get the new embed token.

For reference:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embed-tokens?tabs=embed-for-customers

So I suggest that your working Environment should be online instead of offline.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-rzhou-msft,

Thank you for your reply. 

How about for both embed for customers and organization which uses an Azure AD Token? is that option possible to use offline?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.