Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

moises_martinez
Frequent Visitor

Can I control properties of type number?

Hi everybody!

I have a custom visual with two properies of type number, Which are called Max and Min. How I can control Max is greater than Min when the user changes any of the values?

It's possible???

Thank in advance.

1 REPLY 1
itayrom
Resolver II
Resolver II

First, a few assumptions:

1. You created a "settings" object called "mySettings" to hold the min and max properties values.

2. You created a converter() function that, among other things, gets the min and max properties values and assigns them to mySettings.

3. In your enumerateObjectInstances() implementation, when handling the VisualObjectInstance object that has the min and max properties, you assign it with the corresponding values from mySettings.

The general idea is as follows:

In your converter() function, after you get the min and max values, you compare them to see if max is greater than min. If it is, than you assign their values to mySettings as usual. Otherwise, you set the invalid value to a valid one in mySettings(E.g, you can set min to max-1, or set max to min+1, or even check to see which one had its value changed and set it to its previous value, and so on...).

You can also notify the user about the error that occured by using the hostServices.setWarnings() method in your update() method. You can find many usage examples in the custom visuals github project(One example can be found in the funnelChart.ts file's update() implementation). This method pops up that annoying Power BI error message dialog.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.