Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shaden
Frequent Visitor

Calling REST API with authentication

Hi there!

I'm trying to fetch data from REST API directly into Power BI, and faced some issues.

I have two links for API, one is to pass the authentication (using username and password) to get the token that I should paste it into another one (API) to fetch the data.
** I couldn't share the APIs here, it's not public**

I followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8qYRSqRz84 , but got stuck after hitting (OK) in the form of getting data from web.

The API connection is working good, as I tested fetching data through postman. 

Any soultions for such an issue?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shaden ,

Did you get any error message after you clicked "OK"? If yes, could you please provide the related screenshot(mask the sensitive data) in order to make troubleshooting? In addition, please review the content in the following link and check whether that can help you connect REST API in Power BI Desktop successfully...

How to import REST API in Power BI

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-yiruan-msft , yes sometimes I got an error as attached below: 
Inkederror1_LI.jpg

Hi @Shaden ,

The following ones are the threads which have similar problem with yours, please check whether their solution can help you resolve the problem.

"Web.contents failed to get content from site URL" displayed after trying to establish a connection ...

Known Issues and Limitations with Power BI

Working with Web Services in Power Query

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @yingyinr ! Now I got a successful connection to the first API (with autorization), but got confused where should I pass the other one that will retrive the data? (based on the authorization of the 1st one)

zappy1.png

Shaden
Frequent Visitor

I tried it but it won't work, still looking for a solution 

gooduling
Frequent Visitor

Hi, the video you reference to is about PoverBi API, right? Did you use your 3rd side API instead? Does it really work? I'm looking for way to request data from 3rd side API onto PowerBI. Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.