Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Calling Azure ML Web Service from Power BI

I have looked at other posts covering this topic, but none seem to explain, in a way I can comprehend, how to do what I want to acheive.  I am pulling in Twitter data via API directly into Power BI.  I have been using a custom function to call the Microsoft Cognitive Services Sentiment Analysis API to score the Tweets.  However, I have an Azure ML Web Service for text analytics that I want to use instead of Microsoft's Cognitive Services.

I know how to see the request URL and API key for a published web service in Azure ML.  I also know where to find the R code example.  I am not sure how to implement a call to this API directly in Power BI (either via API or R), but also, could it be possible to do the scoring with R directly in an R script in the query editor?

4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@dkay84_PowerBI

What is your web service like? Currently Power BI doesn't support fetching data from Azure ML, you might choose "get data->web" or call an api from Power Query.

My code to call the Cognitive Services API looks as follows:

(Source as table) as any =>
let
    JsonRecords = Text.FromBinary(Json.FromValue(Source)),
    JsonRequest = "{""documents"": " & JsonRecords & "}",

JsonContent = Text.ToBinary(JsonRequest, TextEncoding.Ascii),
    Response =
        Web.Contents("https://westus.api.cognitive.microsoft.com/text/analytics/v2.0/sentiment?",
            [
                Headers = [#"Ocp-Apim-Subscription-Key"= "MY KEY",
                           #"Content-Type"="application/json", Accept="application/json"],
                Content=JsonContent 
            ]),
    JsonResponse = Json.Document(Response,1252)
in
    JsonResponse

Since the Azure ML web service gives a url and key, I figured it would be possible to call it similar to the call above.  However, the structure of the call and the required headers is a bit different, and trying to figure out the required pieces from the Azure ML web service API page is difficult.

Any thoughts?

@dkay84_PowerBI wrote:

My code to call the Cognitive Services API looks as follows:

(Source as table) as any =>
let
    JsonRecords = Text.FromBinary(Json.FromValue(Source)),
    JsonRequest = "{""documents"": " & JsonRecords & "}",

JsonContent = Text.ToBinary(JsonRequest, TextEncoding.Ascii),
    Response =
        Web.Contents("https://westus.api.cognitive.microsoft.com/text/analytics/v2.0/sentiment?",
            [
                Headers = [#"Ocp-Apim-Subscription-Key"= "MY KEY",
                           #"Content-Type"="application/json", Accept="application/json"],
                Content=JsonContent 
            ]),
    JsonResponse = Json.Document(Response,1252)
in
    JsonResponse

Since the Azure ML web service gives a url and key, I figured it would be possible to call it similar to the call above.  However, the structure of the call and the required headers is a bit different, and trying to figure out the required pieces from the Azure ML web service API page is difficult.

Any thoughts?

As far as I know, http request is not language-specific, so either Power Query or any other language can send a request with proper request header. In your case, as you don't know how to apply the url and key, which is actually Azure ML specific, then I suggest you firstly ask a question like "how to call the Azure ML web service API" in the dedicated Azure ML forum, then transplant the answer to Power Query.

@dkay84_PowerBI - this code works only in desktop right? not in powerbi.com 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.