Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate past 5 week Average

I was trying to generate a 5-week average volume. Does anyone know why the first formula work but not the second one? 

Vol Avg5WK = calculate(Divide(SUM('2014Data'[#Shipments]),5),FILTER(all('2014Data'),'2014Data'[WeekNum]>=MAX('2014Data'[WeekNum])-5 && '2014Data'[WeekNum]<=MAX('2014Data'[WeekNum])-1))

Vol Avg5WK = calculate(Divide(SUM('2014Data'[#Shipments]),5),FILTER('2014Data','2014Data'[WeekNum]>=MAX('2014Data'[WeekNum])-5 && '2014Data'[WeekNum]<=MAX('2014Data'[WeekNum])-1))

The difference is I removed All() from Filter function.

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

I was trying to generate a 5-week average volume. Does anyone know why the first formula work but not the second one? 

Vol Avg5WK = calculate(Divide(SUM('2014Data'[#Shipments]),5),FILTER(all('2014Data'),'2014Data'[WeekNum]>=MAX('2014Data'[WeekNum])-5 && '2014Data'[WeekNum]<=MAX('2014Data'[WeekNum])-1))

Vol Avg5WK = calculate(Divide(SUM('2014Data'[#Shipments]),5),FILTER('2014Data','2014Data'[WeekNum]>=MAX('2014Data'[WeekNum])-5 && '2014Data'[WeekNum]<=MAX('2014Data'[WeekNum])-1))

Many thanks!

@Anonymous

It is the Context that make those two measures show differently, see Understanding Evaluation Contexts in DAX. The ALL function returns all the rows in a table, or all the values in a column, ignoring any filters that might have been applied. ALL function is useful for clearing filters and creating calculations on all the rows in a table. For example, if the context refers to all rows, eg in a Card visual, Those two measure would give the same output.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Many thanks!

@Anonymous

It is the Context that make those two measures show differently, see Understanding Evaluation Contexts in DAX. The ALL function returns all the rows in a table, or all the values in a column, ignoring any filters that might have been applied. ALL function is useful for clearing filters and creating calculations on all the rows in a table. For example, if the context refers to all rows, eg in a Card visual, Those two measure would give the same output.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.