Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Box and Whisker Plot

Any idea when the revised visual will be loaded to the store?  Right now there is none and, it appears, a revision is about to come out but nothing can be downloaded now from the store.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @tjd,

Box Whisker is in Office Store. Heve you faced any issues with this visual?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

@tjd, this is correct at this moment. It takes +/-2 weeks before new visuals are available for everybody after store approval. This is needed to assure that existing reports are not breaking. But indeed there is now a strange situation that the store entry is of the new version and you can use the old version. But is +/- 2 weeks your reports are updated automatically.

Hi, just a quick notice: the new version is now available for everyone.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

-JP

36 REPLIES 36
arindam23
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

I downloaded the Box and Whisker chart from this link https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104380831?src=office&tab=Overview

It says that it supports 30,000 data points but when I enter my data which contains ~28,000 rows it is reading only around 9000 rows which I calculated based on the sum of samples for each box and whisker.

Can anyone suggest me if there is a setting that has to be done for it to read 30,000 rows or what might be the issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Arindam Mohanta

Hi Arindam,

Thanks for the feedback and it could probably be the case that the visual is ignoring empty values when it is caclulating the values.

For a net release I will add an option to configure if empty values should be ignored or treated as '0'.

Thanks, Jan Pieter

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the revert. I was re-verifying my data and yes some values are missing as the value is 0. Since I am calculating the average, it would really help to have the option to include empty values. 

Additionally, I created an index column for the Sampling field to get the chart to read all/most of the values. I can see a notification now that "There are too many index values. Not displaying all the data" even though the number of rows is ~28,000

Can you please suggest anything there?

Thanks and Regards,

Arindam Mohanta

Hi Arindam,

That should be the case. Looks like something are not working as it should.

Is it possible to share an example of your report with me?

In that case I can specific look in what it is going wrong.

Thanks,

Jan Pieter Posthuma

comish4lif
Helper II
Helper II

Sampling. Can I edit the sampling?

I have created a Box and Whisker on "Salary" for all employees.

The "# samples" value is 30,000. Can I edit that to include all employees (~49K)?

Also - "Category" is required to be populated. What would I do there if I wanted a corporate wide figure and didn't wish to break it down by any category? 

Sorry, but the ~30K limit is a limit of Power BI and not of the visual, so there is no way to raise it.

And the 'Category' was optional, but I believe that it didn't made it to the latest version. I will look into this and it will be back in a future release.

-JP

ywang
Frequent Visitor

Hi JP, I am relatively new to Power BI.  When using your Box and whisker visual, I run into some questions between the box-whisker reported parameters and the actua statistics.  An exampe picture showing the difference is attached.  Can you please help?

Thanks, YW 

BW1.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the support, and this is due to the fact that at this moment the visual is excluding nulls/0's in the calculations.

Good news is that this will change in the next version, which is currently in development.

Also I will look into the sorting of the data with this  release.

Thanks, Jan Pieter

Hi Jan,

I have been using your box and whisker chart and it's really helpful!!

May I know when is the x axis sorting function likely to become available?

Thanks,

Evangeline

Hi @EvangelineFan,

Thanks for the feedback and I have put this request on the list: https://github.com/liprec/powerbi-boxWhiskerChart/issues/14

It will be included in a next update.

-JP

Hello, i've been trying to use your chart but the graphic only shows a plain line without any quarters, i'm a little green with power bi but i've seen your videos and it looks like i'm doing everything ok

Hi @leocreyes,

In the screenshot I do not see a 'Sampling' field that is used by the visual to split up the different values of the catagories. And based on the different values the box and whisker are calculated and drawn.

In your case the dataset only consist of 1 row per category with all the same values for hte mean, median, min and max. And that results in the chart you have now.

-JP

Hi @jppp,

Thanks a lot for your quick response, your answer was what it needed to make it work.

I would also like to know if there is any way to remove the black dots and lines of the center of the graphs.

Thank you.

@jppp 

Also, I will like to add that I've encountered a problem, every time I change the page the graphic stop showing the information and i have to create it again

This is what it shows after creating a new page.

Hi @leocreyes ,

Is it possible to share the PBIX file with me to see what is happening?

And if it is working you can hide the mean and median (dot and line) via the Shapes option in the formatting pane.

Thanks, Jan Pieter

Thank you @jppp 

The issue with the disappearing graphic stopped after I updated to the latest version of power bi, on the other hand, mean and median doesn't seem to change with the shapes format

Hello @jppp 

Mean and median are still not changing, could you confirm if it's me or the chart?

Adding to the latest post, 

I'm having an inconsistent result with the average value, as you can see in the attached photo, the correct average is 241,26 for cemex but in the chart shows 619, 21.

Do you know what I should do to solve this?

Thanks

Hi @leocreyes,

It could be that the average is different due the fact that '0' can be treated differently.

But to be sure that this is the case and not an issue with the visual: is it possible to share the pbix file?

Thanks

ywang
Frequent Visitor

Also, the chart doesn't seem to have sorting capability on the x axis.  Can some please advise if I missed something here?

Thanks,

YW

Koikby

Hi there.  Not sure if this is down to my error, but on my box and whisker chart, when I hover my cursor over each outlier the value which appears is always the lowest outlier value.  For example, my lowest outlier in a chart is 9 seconds, my highest is 1237 seconds, however when I hover over the 1237 seconds outlier the value shows as 9 seconds.  Am I doing something incorrect or is there a fault?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.