Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ChrisRyder

Azure Postgresql Server as datasource for Power BI without local gateway source?

Hi Everyone

We have moved everything into the cloud.  Our AD is Azure, our database is in Azure Postgresql and our PowerBI reports are hosted in Teams.   The only problem is how do I allow data refresh?   If I use an ODBC source I have to open the port on the database, for users with dynamic IP addresses this is not workable.  I have no local servers to run a Gateway on,  this also seems wrong as the Gateway should be as close to the data source as possible not the client.  Our users are sometime in a local lan and othertimes just internet connected.  

I have the impression Power BI is just not ready for Azure Cloud yet or have I missed something?  Currently trying to decide if Power BI is worth continuing as it seems aimed at Large corporate internal networks only.  If thats the case perhaps we should use something else designed for the modern Cloud world.

I would really appreciate any pointers to something I have missed. I do not want to spin up a Virtual windows server in Azure to host the Power BI gateway as this would cost more that our complete other infrastructure.  So if this is the only solution it would be a killer point for us.

Any Pointers?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ChrisRyder ,

Since the report dateset is using a cloud data source, it don't require a data gateway if Power BI can establish a direct network connection to the source. You can manage the configuration of these data sources by using the Data source credentials section in the dataset settings, and don't need to configure a gateway connection.

yingyinr_0-1624864590880.png

Auto refresh and scheduling

You can refer the content in the following links to connect to Azure Postgresql:

What solution to connect to Azure Database for PostGreSQL ?

PostgreSQL To Power BI: 3 Best Ways To Connect

Connecting Power BI to PostgreSQL on Azure

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.