Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

abhishek_a4
Frequent Visitor

Azure Aanalysis tabular model better or PowerBI Data model?

Hello All,

It would be really helpful if any of you could share your experience or information in building tabular model in Azure Analysis Services and consuming it in PowerBI reports, is better option or building entire model in PowerBI and consuming it in PowerBI reports ?

We are currently facing this dilemma and exploring the advantages and disadvantage in both the approach and which path to proceed. As business requirement we need to develop quit a few reports by creating common data semantic model either in PowerBI or Azure Analysis services which is consumed by all the reports in PowerBI.

1) We would like to give Business users with most of the PowerBI features like Q&A features and feature, correct me me if i'm wrong, what i understand is Q&A feature is not possible in direct query mode to (Azure analysis services)  is it Correct?

2) If we build the model in PowerBI our datamodels are quite big greater than 1GB, so we might have to advanced pro user say (A3) to handle big data, can PowerBI handle big data sets same as tabular model (Azure Analysis Service) and is it advantages/economical over building model in Azure Analysis Services ?

appreciated your help,

Thank you,

Abhishek 

Business Intelligence Developer 

Procom, Canada

1 REPLY 1
abhishek_a4
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

Seems like i found the answer to be above question, please add any more info if you have.

https://sqlserverbi.blog/2019/08/24/power-bi-project-good-and-best-practices/

https://sqlserverbi.blog/2018/12/13/data-model-options-for-power-bi-solutions/

Thanks,

Abhishek 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors