Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rose__123
Helper II
Helper II

Automatically send Power BI reports by email only containing end-user information? Dynamic RLS

Hi

I have all invoice data gathered in a single report in Power BI Desktop. Filtering per salesperson it is possible to see sales for every salesperson.
I would like to automatically send an email every month to all the salespersons, where only their own data is visible. It could both be as a PDF or as a Power BI link to the report. The most important thing is just that they can only see their own data and not others.

Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Testing the role in Power BI desktop requires you to check BOTH the role and "Other user" and you need to specify the email address you want to test. Testing in the service only needs the role.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

yes.  You can export to file and specify a report level filter that in your case would have to drive the RLS column (user email) that you have implemented.

Note: Export to File has API call quantity limitations.

@lbendlin thank you. I tried to use dynamik RLF

But when I set a filter on the emails in "manage roles" and then try to set the security in both directions, I'm getting an error saying that I can't. Do you know why?

Rose__123_4-1630045787434.png

Rose__123_2-1630045057915.png

Rose__123_3-1630045686328.png

But 

Setting a filter to bidirectional defeats the purpose of RLS. Even if you can do it you never ever should.  The RLS table needs to sit on the outer rim of your Star schema and point single direction all the way to the fact table.

@lbendlin I also tried that, but it does not filter anything when I test the role in Power BI Desktop. 
Right now all facts point to invoices and the lines of the invoices. I would think that the relation between invoices and the lines should be filtered in both directions, but it does not change anything in my tables. 
Is the filtering incorrect?

Rose__123_0-1630134914465.png

Testing the role in Power BI desktop requires you to check BOTH the role and "Other user" and you need to specify the email address you want to test. Testing in the service only needs the role.

🙈 Of course, well now I see that everything works fine 😊  I had only checked the "Other user" with the specified email address. Thank you very much 🙏

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.