Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automatically import One-to-one relationship with Direct Query

I'm trying to make it easier for our team to import tables to reports with the relationships already setup.  I was able to create relationships by using foreign keys in the underlying datasources sql schema.  However, ideally there are some relationships that should import as one-to-one (currently they are only showing up as one to many).

I tried creating a primary key on one table as the foreign key of another table with a unique contraint.  This still imports as one to many.  Is there any way to get DirectQuery tables to have a one-to-one relationship automatically recognized?

*Edit* further clarification, it's truely a 1 to zero or 1 as it's possible for there to be no record for some primary key values in the table w/ the foreign key

Thanks!

-Kevin

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

there are several warning flags in what you describe.

Usually 1:1 relationships mean that you should have combined the tables at the source.  Having blank values on either end of the relationship is highly un-recommended.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, so there is a simple reason why my schema has this.  Basically I have dozens of tables that relate to a user table by a userid.  Those tables referencing users will either have no record for a user, or a single record for a user.

But lets focus on the actual question - Is it possible in power bi to have relationships automatically import as one-to-one using direct query?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors