Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cgh-greg
Regular Visitor

Automate REST API Data Push Without Service Account

My goal is to periodically push data to a Power BI dataset using their REST API without user intervention.

The expalnations below for 'App Owns Data' is to configure user credentials into the application and authenticate that way, which is how I've done it so far:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/get-azuread-access-token#access-token-for-non-po...

I wrote an Azure WebJob that uses the credentials of a service account we created to authenticate with Azure AD and it's successfully pushing data to Power BI, but I'd like to do avoid having a service account just for this as it has cost and security implications.

Is there a way to use the Power BI REST API without user intervention and without logging in using Azure AD credentials?

2 REPLIES 2
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

No, currently this is not possible.

To work with Power BI Embeded API, you will need at least one Power BI Pro user Account.

Fore more information, check the FAQ below:

FAQ about Power BI Embeded

Regards,

Michael

@v-micsh-msftWe're looking for a Power BI Service-based solution for internal use in our organization, not one for non-Power BI-users or clients. I just want to verify that the only option is storing Azure AD credentials in the application.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.