Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lferdinand
Frequent Visitor

App Workspaces

We are considering PowerBI Embedded to host 1 or more visualization pages on a per customer/tenant basis in a cloud-based app.

The desired model would be to create an app workspace per tenant.  This would have to be done programmatically. Is this possible?  If not, and we were forced to go with a shared App workspace per visualization page, then what would be some guidelines for how many tenants could be hosted in a single workspace?

Can App workspaces be managed in a CICD pipeline?

We would like for there to be minimal involvement of DevOps in needing to allocate a new App workspace when one "fills up".

Thanks for any assistance

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisWilliams
Advocate II
Advocate II

This is what I do in my app.  I use the REST api to create a new workspace for a new customer during a provisioning task.  Each tenant has their own report, their own data source, etc in their own workspace.  My provisioning task copies up a pbix file and then customizes the sql connection resource and also the credentials.

i’ll locate the url later and add it to this thread, but search for power bi rest api and c# SDK and it will have all you need.

Can you please elaborate or provide a link to more clearly explain what you mean by provisioning task?

Thanks!

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@lferdinand wrote:

We are considering PowerBI Embedded to host 1 or more visualization pages on a per customer/tenant basis in a cloud-based app.

The desired model would be to create an app workspace per tenant.  This would have to be done programmatically. Is this possible?  If not, and we were forced to go with a shared App workspace per visualization page, then what would be some guidelines for how many tenants could be hosted in a single workspace?

Can App workspaces be managed in a CICD pipeline?

We would like for there to be minimal involvement of DevOps in needing to allocate a new App workspace when one "fills up".

Thanks for any assistance

@lferdinand

Power BI Embedded is for Embedding for your customers, the embedded objects(dashboards, reports, tiles) viewers don't have to be Power BI users, so no cencern about customer/tenant.

It is surely possible to create a workspace programmatically in a specific tenant, see Add group. Tenants are isolated, you can't add members from another tenant for a workspace. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.