Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

n02378281
Regular Visitor

App Type Selection for Embedding content for Non-Power BI users. Is it a Native App or Web App ??

Hello,

I have a question related to Power BI embedding content for Non-power BI users. I am looking into the documentation it says I have to choose an app type as Native app for embedding content for Non-power bi users. Does this mean can't we embed power bi content for Non-power bi users in a Web App?? Please refer to below link and screen shot.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-register-app/

PowerBI.PNG

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nimrod
Resolver II
Resolver II

If you are using 'App owns data' integration, then you should define your app as 'Native app'. It will not prevent you from using it for web apps. web app should be picked if you are using 'User owns data' approach.

The documentation might indeed be confusing, we are working to change that.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
nimrod
Resolver II
Resolver II

If you are using 'App owns data' integration, then you should define your app as 'Native app'. It will not prevent you from using it for web apps. web app should be picked if you are using 'User owns data' approach.

The documentation might indeed be confusing, we are working to change that.

I am working with App Owns data. For App Owns data, We can pick either Native app or Web App. Correct me if I am wrong?  I am little confused because of the below highlight. 

PowerBI 1.PNG

@n02378281 wrote:

I am working with App Owns data. For App Owns data, We can pick either Native app or Web App. Correct me if I am wrong?  I am little confused because of the below highlight. 

PowerBI 1.PNG

@n02378281

Both Native app and Server side web app can work in App Owns data scenario, it is actually on Azure AD authentication technology aspect. As to the difference, you can ask in the dedicated Azure AD forum.

The "web apps" in the highlighted refer your own application type, say web vs client(desktop) app.

To make things clear, on top of what Eric said-

For the registration of your app, if you are working with 'App owns data', please select 'Native app'.

It does not mean that you can't actually use it a a web app, it just for the app registration in 'App owns data' scenario.

No limitation will be enforced if you register your app in this way. 

Is there any documentation that you can provide me to implement the App Owns data in a Web App. This could be more helpful. I have web app where I have to embed app owns data power bi content. Please let me know. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.