Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

richrussell

Anyone else seeing periods of consistent 429 (too many requests) errors?

Twice in the last week, including this morning between roughly 7:15 am EST and 7:45 am EST in North America, I started getting 429 errors on every single REST API call (in PowerShell).  The problem came and eventually went, with nothing on my end that would explain it.

Wondering if anyone else experience this sort of "outage"?

Details: 

I was running a script that uses a REST API to get the parameters from a dataset (via 

'https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/'+$workspaceId+'/datasets/'+$datasetId+'/parameters')
and because 429 errors occassionally crop up I wrap this call in a try-catch and retry several times before giving up.  Basically:

$retries = 10
$RESTResult = $Null
do {
   try {
       $RESTResult = Invoke-RestMethod -Method GET -Uri $Url -Headers $headers
    } catch { write-host "Exception caught: $Error" }

if( -not $RESTResult ) {            
         start-sleep 1
         $retries--
    }
} while ($retries -and $Null -eq $RESTResult)

That takes care of the sporadic 429 errors, which we see but are not an issue.

But this morning (and once before, a few days ago) that REST API failed every single time (for both myself and a coworker, and we were not testing at the same time) for about 30 minutes.  Then suddenly, that same code started working again.  It smells more like a service interruption on the Power BI end than it does a local problem.

Anyone else seeing anything like this, lately?
3 REPLIES 3
richrussell

I did check the Issues forum, and don't see anything there.  (I wasn't sure if I should post there, or here, by the way.) 

And since the problem is now happening again, I will open a support ticket.  Thanks for the pointer.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@richrussell You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler I appreciate the suggestions.  I did try opening a support ticket (I do have a Pro account) but wow--what a mess that was.  

I was routed to an automated chat agent, which went as you'd expect: I had to repeat all the info I'd already provided, and it eventually said "Okay, let's open an incident" and sent me to a form where the drop-down control for Severity showed an empty list (i.e. I couldn't choose a value, or provide one) and the form wouldn't allow me to proceed without the Severity.  Complete dead end, after almost an hour of trying to inform Microsoft of what really does appear to be an issue on their end.  

I've exhausted all avenues of how it could be something we're causing on our side, so I'll wait and see if the issue resolves itself, again, as it has in the past.

Thank you for your help!  But for Microsoft: this is a very frustrating experience.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.