Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

davidrimshnick

Analytics Algorithm Add-In for PowerBI

Hi - I'd like to develop an add-in for PowerBI that runs some proprietary analytics algorithms.  They involve multiple database queries, etc, as well as lots of custom logic.  Eventually I'd like to distribute via the AppSource.

1) Is this possible to do in principle?  I am finding it difficult to find content around developing algorithms against PowerBI data.

2) What resources would be most helpful to do this?

I already have a standalone application (see factorprism.com).

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@davidrimshnick wrote:

Hi - I'd like to develop an add-in for PowerBI that runs some proprietary analytics algorithms.  They involve multiple database queries, etc, as well as lots of custom logic.  Eventually I'd like to distribute via the AppSource.

1) Is this possible to do in principle?  I am finding it difficult to find content around developing algorithms against PowerBI data.

2) What resources would be most helpful to do this?

I already have a standalone application (see factorprism.com).

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

AIAIK, it is not possible. You can check this idea Power BI add-ins / plug-ins and vote it up.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, you could create a Power BI Template, Content Pack or utilize Power BI embedded in your custom application. Those are the routes to take in a nutshell.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you.  Re the Template or Content Pack route, is it possible to run queries and logic with those?  I've really only found resources utilizing these to display pre-computed results (or to feed in results in a predefined dashboard).  Can you please provide a source on how to execute logic with these?

Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.