Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerbi_jenhen
Resolver II
Resolver II

Admin API's and Service Principal Authentication = 401 Unauthorized

Hi,

I have registered an azure app for my service principal, added it to an Azure Security group and added this group to my admin and non-admin api tenant developer settings. The app has been granted the correct API permissions for Power BI Service without any admin consent requirements (see below). I have added the group with admin permissions to all tenant workspaces. Via Powershell I can successfully authenticate using the service principal for non-admin api calls but everytime I attempt to call admin api calls, like the below, I receive "401 Unauthorized"?? Any help appreciated.

Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -Url 'admin/groups?$top=100' -Method Get | ConvertFrom-Json

powerbi_jenhen_0-1670534111425.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
powerbi_jenhen
Resolver II
Resolver II

I figured this out, my azure app permissions of type "Application" had "Admin consent", as described in the below article, this must be remove:

Enable service principal authentication for read-only admin APIs - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
powerbi_jenhen
Resolver II
Resolver II

I figured this out, my azure app permissions of type "Application" had "Admin consent", as described in the below article, this must be remove:

Enable service principal authentication for read-only admin APIs - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

powerbi_jenhen
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, this option has been enabled for my security group but I still get the 401?

Thanks.

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @powerbi_jenhen ,

According to the error code, it seems that you didn't get the proper permission to access Admin REST API. Please check if you enable the option Allow service principals to use read-only Power BI admin APIs under Admin API settings in Admin portal.

Enable service principal authentication for read-only admin APIs

yingyinr_0-1670570486538.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.