cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pete_Manley
Frequent Visitor

Adjusting the Transparency on Interactive Filtering between Visuals?

Is thare any way to adjust the transparency settings on the interactive filtering between visuals? See below, when I click on the Red 30 (indicated by the arrow) both charts fade the non-red (not selected) parts. That works fine, but my boss wants the more fade for the non-selected items. Can this be done? If so, how do I do that? Thanks, Peter

Screenshot 2021-10-18 154508.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Pete_Manley,

For core visuals, shapes representing unselected data points have a fixed opacity of 40% (0.4) and this is currently not configurable in the properties pane. Whilst it would be possible to write a custom visual with a configurable property, to do so would be quite a large endeavour for one particular feature. I believe most custom visuals adapt the same policy as core visuals for consistency and I don't think I've seen one out there that does expose it.

It may be possible to improve clarity of selected vs. unselected with more distinct colours for each series - for example, I notice that you're using different hues of similar base colours and this compounds the issue you're experiencing. The theory of colour selection can be quite a deep area to explore, but this guide is a quite good introduction to what you might need to think about to assist your readers. 

Failing that, if it's something you want to see exposed as configuration for core visuals, I'd suggest creating an idea for it.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Pete_Manley,

For core visuals, shapes representing unselected data points have a fixed opacity of 40% (0.4) and this is currently not configurable in the properties pane. Whilst it would be possible to write a custom visual with a configurable property, to do so would be quite a large endeavour for one particular feature. I believe most custom visuals adapt the same policy as core visuals for consistency and I don't think I've seen one out there that does expose it.

It may be possible to improve clarity of selected vs. unselected with more distinct colours for each series - for example, I notice that you're using different hues of similar base colours and this compounds the issue you're experiencing. The theory of colour selection can be quite a deep area to explore, but this guide is a quite good introduction to what you might need to think about to assist your readers. 

Failing that, if it's something you want to see exposed as configuration for core visuals, I'd suggest creating an idea for it.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

November Power BI Update 768x460.png

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2021 Updates!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.