Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Michele_Zanoni
Frequent Visitor

Adapting number of visuals in a report to the dataset underlying

Hello all,

I'd like to present you with a problem. I work for a company that manufactures visual inspection machines. Every day we generate data relative to every single product we inspect, among them a data point for the format of the product. We are now in the process of pushing these data to the Cloud and employing Power BI to offer a visualization of the results.

What we'd like to do is to offer the chance to see visuals relative to the data generated the day before. We have had no problem using a query to extract only those data but we have fond a problem. We are able to use a filter to filter the visuals based on the format of the products. Like if we produced 1000 products of format A and 500 of format B, we can have a filter to show only data relative to product A, only relative to product B, or both. The problem is that we'd like to have the number and positions of the visuals adapt to the number of different formats produced the day before. For example if I produced two different formats I'd like to have my report show two different pie charts, while if we produced five I'd like the report to show five pie charts (one relative to each product).

1) Is this even possible? Is there access to the code deciding the position and number of visuals on a report? This would need to be automatic, it's not possible for us to manually create a report every day and then publish it to our Power BI.

2) Would it be possible to obtain something similar to what I have described writing a custom visual? Does it afford the needed degree of personalization?

3) We will be using Power BI Embedded to integrate the dashboards/reports generated into our website. Does it make our life simpler? Harder? Does it change?

4) We decided to use Power BI because it was the software that struck as as being the most easy to implement and master. Assuming it was not possible to obtain a result as the one described, what would be the best tool, while staying within the tools offered by Microsoft, to mimic something as close as possible?  

Michele Zanoni

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.