cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JavierOrd
Regular Visitor

Accessing dataset  requires effective identity username identical to the caller's principal name.

Hi,

I am having some issues adquiring token to access Power BI reports with Azure Analysis Services sources. 

My web app is App Owns Data with a Master User account who passes an effective identity to the reports. When the effective identity is different from Master User (most cases) it throws the next error:

Creating embed token for accessing dataset  requires effective identity username to be identical to the caller's principal name.

But the idea of Power BI embedded is allowing users outside my organization to have access to my reports, so I do not understand this error.

Any suggestions?

PS: import mode reports work.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JavierOrd,

Have you tried to use the 'service principal' mode to embed these contents? AFAIK, 'master user' mode seems to share the main user credentials for other user usages.

Tutorial: Embed Power BI content using a sample embed for your customers application 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft ,

Service principal mode throws the same error. I have verified Service principal works correctly when opening connection to Power BI report with SSAS on premise (I just had to add Service principal id to the on prem gateway).

So I am in the same scenario of my first post.

HI @JavierOrd,

How did you configure the service principal?
AFAIK, you need to create a security group on the azure site to add the service principal as a group member. Then you need to add that group to power bi workspace that stores embedded content.
For gateway data source settings, you can configure it to work for workspace members.
Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

I will explore service pricipal mode and let you know.

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are You Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skills Challenge.

Top Solution Authors