Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Access levels for a Power BI Solution Architect & Developer with Power BI Pro Licence.

Hello Power BI Comrades,

I have just joined this project as a Power BI Solution Architect and Developer. I will be the main person to analyze and build Power BI reports for the client.

Scenario here is.. there are many (about 15) source systems (lots of them with Oracle and MS Access as the underlying Database) and we have Azure (with an Azure Solution Architect) in there and I in BI space. We also use O365, SharePoint Online, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Flows, etc. I am the SharePoint Online Admin as well (but not with Admin Rights).

I have now got the reporting requirements from the business but there seems to be a bit of confusion between Azure Solution Architect and I.

Azure Architect says that he will get all the data from various source systems (they're using some APIs to fetch data) and then provision it to me in the form of data sets to create my Power BI Reports! When I accessed these data sets, I am not even able to use Power Query and other such great features of Power BI.

I've suggested to the Azure Solution Architect that I need access to Azure to be able to asssess the data and database tables and maintain relationships in there (build a Data Warehouse in Azure) to be able to successfully report on data coming from disparates source systems.

Basically I've requested him that this needs a collaborative work between Azure Architect and Power BI Architect but he doesn't seem to understand anything.

Also, I don't have Admin level rights on Power BI system too to be able to manage and maintain my system!

Can anyone share your thoughts if you have comes across a similar situation and how best to address this? Also, please give me any tips or leads into any documentation as to what level of access rights should I be having in Power BI system.

I've requested the so called ICT Administration team here to give me Admin rights to Power BI, access to Azure to be able to create and test the data models, O365 Admin Center so I can have the required Admin rights to be able to incorporate Power BI reports and/or Dashboards into SharePoint Online site too.

I'm not sure if I have missed out anything or have I done anything wrong by asking this..!!

Kindly advise and share your thoughts/ideas.

Thanks,

Bhoga

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.