Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

collinq
Super User
Super User

API - License Requirement?

I was asked this today and really am not sure.  If I want to use the Power BI API's.  Not necessarily in Power BI - say I am using whatever program I use to get data from API's and I am happy with the JSON output. 

Do I have to have a license of some sort to access the Power BI API's?  Do I have to have a Power BI License of some sort? 

(Note - I do understand from my research that I if I am not an Admin within Power BI then I can't get to the Admin API's but that is about permissions, and not about licensing.)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @collinq ,

Pro license is not necessarily required, some Rest API can be used under Free account. For example, the ‘Delete report’ API of ‘Report’ can be used under the Free account.

v-lionel-msft_1-1614921760396.png

v-lionel-msft_0-1614921742891.png

However, some APIs, such as those related to the content in the'App Workspace', require Pro license or even Premium capacity. So it mainly depends on the scope of permissions, some permissions can only be assigned to Pro accounts.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @collinq ,

Pro license is not necessarily required, some Rest API can be used under Free account. For example, the ‘Delete report’ API of ‘Report’ can be used under the Free account.

v-lionel-msft_1-1614921760396.png

v-lionel-msft_0-1614921742891.png

However, some APIs, such as those related to the content in the'App Workspace', require Pro license or even Premium capacity. So it mainly depends on the scope of permissions, some permissions can only be assigned to Pro accounts.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.