Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

brenkehoe
Helper I
Helper I

API Get Groups Performance Regression

We have noticed that calling the GetGroups method in the Power BI API seems to have started taking at least 9 seconds since the back end of last week. This is using a filter to return one single group from a collection of around 50. Without specifying a filter the call seems to take around 15 seconds. These calls used to be sub-second. Have there been any recent changes to this? Anyone any ideas what is going on? All other embed API methods are almost instant its just the Get Groups one that we are having issues with.

I have just tested this using a different principal account with a smaller amount of groups and the call is instant. Is there any throttling that can take place against an account dues to high numbers of api calls ?

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi, @brenkehoe

It's fast in my test. 

1. Were there any other requests running at the same time?

2. You may check the usage of APIs by this API.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

We use a single account for API calls across multiple sites whereby reports are separated by group/app workspace. We basically use the environment name to match a group then take the id to pass on further and use in the embed report API calls. The Get Groups method now takes a long time with this account. I have tested with a different account and it is instant. I have recently run some load tests against this account also. Have I hit some sort of limit or is there any other reason you can think of why when using this account the API call now takes so long?

I have done a lot more testing on this with multiple accounts. I have found that if the account has access to any group/workspace that has premium capacity assigned the call is really slow. If no groups have premium capacity assigned everything works as expected. The only workaround i have currently is not to use premium capacity.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.