Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bensm
Frequent Visitor

ADO.Net: Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider

Hi,

I've been struggling with this for a while if someone could perhaps help me out. We transferred our subscription service, and I got new BI credentials. I changed my gateway credentials and fixed that issue. But, where my R code used to run seamlessly, it now returns a .Net Framework error as shown below.

I have re-installed the gateway multiple times, I have updated my .net framework. I have checked the security settings on the dashboard, but I think it has to be online. I have no issues refreshing the dashboard, just when I refresh online and try to put it on a refresh cycle.

image.pngimage.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Please check the following solution (works for me, it turned out that they forgot to put the Microsoft.PowerBI.Scripting.dll in the m folder):

1. Go to the app folder (for me: D:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway (personal mode) ) and copy the Microsoft.PowerBI.Scripting.dll file into 'm' folder (D:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway (personal mode)\m )

2. Kill all the gateway processes (especially Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.PersonalGateway.exe)

3. Run the gateway and check the results 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
brokencoma
Frequent Visitor

Anyone find a work around for this yet?  I've got the same issue since the May 2020 update - I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling  using an old 2019 install package I had kept but it pushed the May 2020 update again.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Please check the following solution (works for me, it turned out that they forgot to put the Microsoft.PowerBI.Scripting.dll in the m folder):

1. Go to the app folder (for me: D:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway (personal mode) ) and copy the Microsoft.PowerBI.Scripting.dll file into 'm' folder (D:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway (personal mode)\m )

2. Kill all the gateway processes (especially Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.PersonalGateway.exe)

3. Run the gateway and check the results 

I tried to do that and it not work, anyone with this problem yet?

i tested in different PCs, reinstall the .net framework, and nothing works...

Thank you - yes this works.  The only difference for me is that on my machine the source directory was C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises data gateway (personal mode)

You've save me a ton of time, thanks!!!

Thank you andrzejciebiera

I just tried your method and it worked for me, I am able to refresh again.

Really appreciated!

Frank

Michieldo
Helper III
Helper III

Hi,

I'm running into the same problem since the last update of the personal gateway. Haven't changed credentials, but switched personal gateway once or twice.

On suggestions of the support I've also cleared permissions and reconnected in the query editor. Maybe that helps in your case @bensm.

Hopes this gets resolved quickly.

frank_pong
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have the same issue with credential with R on the Power BI Service. I am able to refresh my report using Power BI Desktop, but it would give me the same error message as the ones the original poster posted.

This starts after I had to update the On-Premises data gateway (personal mode) to 3000.40.15 (May 2020). I am not sure if this is the issue, but I updated the personal gateway on the 24th, and the next scheduled reports with R Script have all failed.

The R script I used is simply to output the dataset into a "csv" file.

currentDate <- Sys.Date()

csvFileName <- paste("c:\\doc\\Output_",currentDate,".csv",sep="")

write.csv(dataset, file=csvFileName)

please let me know how I can go about this issue,

Thank you,

Frank

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @bensm,

Have you successfully install the .net framework environment on your device who installed the gateway client? I'd like to suggest you to use the following tools to check and your software environment:

Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool is available 

In addition, any particular R package that invoked in your R scripts? AFAIK, power bi service will block some third-party package and some operation due to security reasons:
Create visuals by using R packages in the Power BI service 

Power BI Security#data-storage-security 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately it still gave the same error. It is definitely linked to an R authentication error. I have found a solution to bypass it, by running R through windows task scheduler through a .bat file and importing that flat file into Power Bi. 

If there is an alternative solution to the .Net error, I'd happily try that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors