Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

[ADGraphGroupOperationFailed] Error while embedding a report

We've built an app to embed reports built for our users.  We've been getting this error here and there, but it'd usually go away after 5 minutes.  Now, it's been erroring for hours and we simply have no idea what to do.

The error is coming from a page that just embeds a report.  I saw one item that talked about the error from creating groups or something?  We're not doing that.  This is a single page embedding a report.

If anything can someone shed light on what [ADGraphGroupOperationFailed] means, we don't even know what to start to look into and are right now just grasping at straws.

Error

Response: {"error":{"code":"ADGraphGroupOperationFailed","pbi.error":{"code":"ADGraphGroupOperationFailed","parameters":{},"details":[]}}}
RequestId: 67f1563e-e63d-49bc-9c93-ff63b462448a
14 REPLIES 14
himanshu421

Any solutions found? We are facing similar error while installing on premise data gateway for logic apps. Not sure why or how it is related. Any pointers will really help. Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've not heard a single word from anyone official about it.  Digging in further, ADGraph is the schema to Microsoft's implementation of OAuth2 for their AzureAD.  So we're assuming at this point that it's some kind of permissions issue.  Digging back into the documentation, they say that this master account needs to be an AzureAD Global Admin in the tenet (which is just stupid, I'm sorry, that's a pathetic requirement in today's security landscape).  But since we've set it to Global Admin, the error hasn't come back.

We've sent off dozens of emails, and I've left multiple posts on here regarding the global admin non-sense.  

Absolutely ZERO response.

We have the global admin privilege, though we are using Azure Gov cloud and may be hitting this issue because of some part being on Azure commercial and some on Gov cloud. 

Thanks for the response!

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like Microsoft is going to be fixing this whole thing:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/October18/intelligence-platform...

That's a fantastic development!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhh yeah, I don't know anything about their Gov Cloud, it sounds like Gov is completely different deployments and mostly entirely different product back-ends.

😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

More information about our app:

We're building a ISV type of PBI embedded app.  Our "users" will be paying clients of ours who log into their accounts to work with reports we've built for their individual company use (reporting and statistical analysis). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok... this is getting stranger.

So we have had the issue come up a several more times since.  The last time I tried using my own account to "pull reports in PBI Desktop" using the method our PBI developer was doing to no avail.  It didn't work.

But as soon as he opened up his PBI Desktop and ran a report, it fixed our issue yet again.

We put in a check to pull the usage from the API:  We're getting (15) return.  So 85% open tokens while this occurred. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have some more info.  The ISV asp.net web application that embeds reports uses a different pbi master account.  We setup a service account that is only used for the communication between the ISV web app and the pbi api.

When our designer pulls up a report (to fix the issue), he is using his named account, not the ISV pbi master account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to reiterate our issue:

Our built web application, which embeds pbi reports, will come up to some point (unknown) where we start getting a 500 error [ADGraphGroupOperationFailed].  This issue persists until our PBI Designer logs into their PBI desktop to view a report. (unknown if any user, or it being that user to view a report specifically causes the fix).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok.  Got some new info, and this is something that has happened before.

Our PBI designer logged into PBI to pull the reports to check them, and they came up.  After that the issue resolved itself within our embedded app.

This actually was happening before, only as soon as we saw the issue.. Our designer would immediately log into PBI desktop, pull the reports to see if there's some issue with the reports.  Nope, but then the error would go away immedately.

Today our PBI designer was off-site at a client and wasn't around to hear about the problem.  Which persisted for several hours... Until they logged into PBI desktop to 'check the reports again'.  

Boom, problem resolved itself.

Wow, this sounds strange. I hope this isn't something that continues to happen.

When you say "pull the report with Power BI Desktop", do you mean that your designer re-published the PBIX file back to the workspace using Power BI Desktop? The reason I ask is that Power BI Desktop cannot directly open a Power BI report inside the Power BI Service. You can only open a PBIX copy of the report in Power BI Desktop and then publish that PBIX on top of the current version of the same report in the Power BI Service inside target app workspace.

Was your experience that as soon as you republished the reports using Power BI Desktop, they begun to work correclty again in a Power BI embedding scenario? Is it possible your PBI designer did extra steps to fix the problem such as reset dataset parameters or datasource credentials?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, again... he wasn't republishing the reports.  Simply saw them pull data within desktop.  Theeeeeeeeeeen, poof.  Fixed on the app.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's interesting to this.

No, literally pulling up the report and seeing data... Then pretty quickly after that, it solves itself within our embedded app.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone explain what's going on, we're stumped and need some guidance before launching to production.

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.