cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
pjevans Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

[ADGraphGroupOperationFailed] Error while embedding a report

We've built an app to embed reports built for our users.  We've been getting this error here and there, but it'd usually go away after 5 minutes.  Now, it's been erroring for hours and we simply have no idea what to do.

 

The error is coming from a page that just embeds a report.  I saw one item that talked about the error from creating groups or something?  We're not doing that.  This is a single page embedding a report.

 

If anything can someone shed light on what [ADGraphGroupOperationFailed] means, we don't even know what to start to look into and are right now just grasping at straws.

 

Error

Status: InternalServerError (500)
Response: {"error":{"code":"ADGraphGroupOperationFailed","pbi.error":{"code":"ADGraphGroupOperationFailed","parameters":{},"details":[]}}}
RequestId: 67f1563e-e63d-49bc-9c93-ff63b462448a
14 REPLIES 14
pjevans Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: [ADGraphGroupOperationFailed] Error while embedding a report

Ok.  Got some new info, and this is something that has happened before.

 

Our PBI designer logged into PBI to pull the reports to check them, and they came up.  After that the issue resolved itself within our embedded app.

 

This actually was happening before, only as soon as we saw the issue.. Our designer would immediately log into PBI desktop, pull the reports to see if there's some issue with the reports.  Nope, but then the error would go away immedately.

 

Today our PBI designer was off-site at a client and wasn't around to hear about the problem.  Which persisted for several hours... Until they logged into PBI desktop to 'check the reports again'.  

 

Boom, problem resolved itself.

pjevans Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: [ADGraphGroupOperationFailed] Error while embedding a report

Can someone explain what's going on, we're stumped and need some guidance before launching to production.

pjevans Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: [ADGraphGroupOperationFailed] Error while embedding a report

Just to reiterate our issue:

 

Our built web application, which embeds pbi reports, will come up to some point (unknown) where we start getting a 500 error [ADGraphGroupOperationFailed].  This issue persists until our PBI Designer logs into their PBI desktop to view a report. (unknown if any user, or it being that user to view a report specifically causes the fix).

TedPattison
Advisor

Re: [ADGraphGroupOperationFailed] Error while embedding a report

Wow, this sounds strange. I hope this isn't something that continues to happen.

 

When you say "pull the report with Power BI Desktop", do you mean that your designer re-published the PBIX file back to the workspace using Power BI Desktop? The reason I ask is that Power BI Desktop cannot directly open a Power BI report inside the Power BI Service. You can only open a PBIX copy of the report in Power BI Desktop and then publish that PBIX on top of the current version of the same report in the Power BI Service inside target app workspace.

 

Was your experience that as soon as you republished the reports using Power BI Desktop, they begun to work correclty again in a Power BI embedding scenario? Is it possible your PBI designer did extra steps to fix the problem such as reset dataset parameters or datasource credentials?

Highlighted
pjevans Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: [ADGraphGroupOperationFailed] Error while embedding a report

That's interesting to this.

 

No, literally pulling up the report and seeing data... Then pretty quickly after that, it solves itself within our embedded app.

pjevans Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: [ADGraphGroupOperationFailed] Error while embedding a report

Yeah, again... he wasn't republishing the reports.  Simply saw them pull data within desktop.  Theeeeeeeeeeen, poof.  Fixed on the app.

pjevans Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: [ADGraphGroupOperationFailed] Error while embedding a report

Have some more info.  The ISV asp.net web application that embeds reports uses a different pbi master account.  We setup a service account that is only used for the communication between the ISV web app and the pbi api.

 

When our designer pulls up a report (to fix the issue), he is using his named account, not the ISV pbi master account.

pjevans Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: [ADGraphGroupOperationFailed] Error while embedding a report

Ok... this is getting stranger.

 

So we have had the issue come up a several more times since.  The last time I tried using my own account to "pull reports in PBI Desktop" using the method our PBI developer was doing to no avail.  It didn't work.

 

But as soon as he opened up his PBI Desktop and ran a report, it fixed our issue yet again.

 

We put in a check to pull the usage from the API:  We're getting (15) return.  So 85% open tokens while this occurred. 

pjevans Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: [ADGraphGroupOperationFailed] Error while embedding a report

More information about our app:

 

We're building a ISV type of PBI embedded app.  Our "users" will be paying clients of ours who log into their accounts to work with reports we've built for their individual company use (reporting and statistical analysis).