Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jatneerjat
Helper V
Helper V

write sql join between two tables from different server in power BI query editor

Hi,

I have two tables which are on different servers and i want to create a relationship between this tables based on a column but there is not any column in either of the table which have unique values so how can i create a relationship or join this table in sql.

Can I create a calculated column based on 2 columns in each table and then create a relationship between this columns?

Thanks,

Neeeraj

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jatneerjat

You can't join 2 Many to Many cardinality tables directly. Either you need to create a relationship/ bridge table to cover this OR as you have mentioned, Create a column ( For ex: by concatenating 2 columns) to make th table values as unique .

Thanks
Raj

Hi @Anonymous,

What if i dont have any columns from which i can create a unique column?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to create a bridge/ relationship table.

Thanks

Raj

@Anonymous

but i dont have any columns with unique values in both the tables.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So you need to create unique values table, this can be done in 2 ways

1) Write a sql query to get distinct id and then join to the main table 

2)create a dax table  and join the first table , and another join is from Dax table to  second table .

Some thing like below screenshot1.png

For more clarification ,please follow below screen  post :

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Many-to-Many-Relationship-between-tables-and-show-dat...

@Anonymous,

This is done when we want distinct value for a single column what if i have area and country slicer which are coming from one table and i want to filter another table which have multiple values.I can create a table with distinct values for area amd it can filter both the table but now i also want to filter this two tables and also the area table then how can i do?

Thanks,

Jat

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need a single column that has unique value and then join it , it doesnt matter how many columns it has.

If this is not what you are expecting let me know.

@Anonymous,

so now i have 3 tables t1,t2,t3.

t1 has unique [customername] values and other two tables have non-unique [customername] value so i create a relationship between t1 and t2 and t1 and t3 but now i want to filter t3 based on [date] column t2 has.

So is it possible to filter t2 and t3 based on each others column.

1.PNG

Thanks,

Jat

Anonymous
Not applicable

My first question is do you a common column to join T2 , t3 and t1, if so keep filters bi-directional , this will filter t3 when t2 is selected.

Thanks,

Aditya 

@Anonymous

So i have created relationship like below,in this i have unique dates in date table and other have duplicate date values:

cd.PNG

but i am getting below error while i pull the dates of the columns which have duplicate dates:

pc.PNG

how can i create a relationship so all 3 of my dates will be in sync?

Thanks,

Neeraj

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.