Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sy898661
Helper V
Helper V

will not take real average--only "counts"

Hello!

I have a set of data including a column for Impact Score (1, 5, or 9), Facility (A, B, C, D) and Crash Codes (9 different codes). The data set has 50+ rows of information regarding these areas over time (for example, Facilty A may have 4 differnt crash codes with scores of 1, 9, 9, 9), and I am trying to create a visual for "Average impact score per crash code" as well as "Average impact score per facility". When I try to create the visual, it automatically changes it to "Count of Impact Score" and will only return how many different scores there are in each category, instead of giving the average. I feel like I've tried everything settings wise to correct this, including making a new measure using the average function, but it still does not output the data I am looking for.

I know the data is incorrect because for Facilty D, there are 10+ scores of 9 and only one score of 1, but it is outputting an average score of 2.

I'm sorry if this is a confusing question, but I would really appreciate some help if anyone understands what I am asking for!

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @sy898661

This is because your column would have defined as Text datatype, thats why you are not getting other aggregate options. Check and convert the Score column as Number and try, you should be good for the weekend 🙂

Thanks

Raj

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @sy898661

I hope you have selected the Average option in Visualization- > Fields Tab-> Value-> Right click on Score and select "Average".

Average.PNG

Thanks

Raj

Hi Raj,

First off, thank you for taking the time to try and help!

I just looked, and those options are not showing up on my PBI Desktop or on the Service, it only gives the option for "Count" and "Count (Distinct)"

Thanks!

Hello!

I have a set of data including a column for Impact Score (1, 5, or 9), Facility (A, B, C, D) and Crash Codes (9 different codes). The data set has 50+ rows of information regarding these areas over time (for example, Facilty A may have 4 differnt crash codes with scores of 1, 9, 9, 9), and I am trying to create a visual for "Average impact score per crash code" as well as "Average impact score per facility". When I try to create the visual, it automatically changes it to "Count of Impact Score" and will only return how many different scores there are in each category, instead of giving the average. I feel like I've tried everything settings wise to correct this, including making a new measure using the average function, but it still does not output the data I am looking for.

I know the data is incorrect because for Facilty D, there are 10+ scores of 9 and only one score of 1, but it is outputting an average score of 2.

I'm sorry if this is a confusing question, but I would really appreciate some help if anyone understands what I am asking for!

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @sy898661

This is because your column would have defined as Text datatype, thats why you are not getting other aggregate options. Check and convert the Score column as Number and try, you should be good for the weekend 🙂

Thanks

Raj

What about measures? I have a percentage but if I change it to a whole number it stays the same and I still can't choose Average (see below). 

Thanks!

CardIssue.JPG

Hi,

See my reply here - Re: Make measure show Average not Sum.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

YES! Thank you SO SO much!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.