Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

laurelning
Helper I
Helper I

why the count is not right

Hello everyone,

I am new to Power Bi and this is a very simple question. While creating a table of counts for each category ( in text) under a column, I don't know why the number of counts is not right based on data. I checked the data table imported to Power BI from excel and it is all correct. But the number of counts is not right. Does anyone know what's going on? 

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@laurelning, It is difficult to get the reason from the info.  Try following

1. Remove all filters and check for Count As KPI and in the table of data you created is matching or not. Basically only from one table. If this one matches then

2. The add filter and check which filter is causing that

3. If step one is giving the wrong count, then try import this file(table) into a new file and try to check for the count.

View solution in original post

@laurelning is the filter you have taken in filter pane and one on slicer is from the same column and same table. 

If they are not the same that will open up the option to debug further. 

Not sure if you are using latest version of powerBI, Filter pane is much better in latest version.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear laurelning,

Could you provide more information or screenshoot please ?

So i can help u for your case

Regards,

Chrisyan

@Anonymous  Please see below the screenshot of the two tables generated respectively from Excel and Power BI. Thanks.power bi help.png

Going to need source data to figure out what is going on here, can you replicate the issue with sample data or can you share the source data? Are there multiple source tables involved or just one?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler just one source data. The excel table was generated based on the source data. 

OK, so your data is a single table like the following?

Contact,Client Role

Greg,Affiliated Contact

George,Campus Sponsor Contact

Jill,Affiliated Contact

And out of that data, you would expect to see "Affiliated Contact" at 66.67% and "Campus Sponsor Contact" at 33.33%?

Latest book!:

Here is another screenshoot of the matrix visual in Power BI. Did I set it up wrong? Don't know what is going on? Help or any thoughts is appreciated!

power bi help 1.png

Just check the overall count of rows. Put a KPI here and do a count of rows in excel. Are they coming the same?

Second Check if it count distinct in Excel.

@amitchandak 

The count of total rows of the data model in Power BI is exactly the same as that in the source data in excel. The filtered row for each category in Power BI is also the same as the excel ( see the screenshoot). But somehow the counts of each category in matrix and pi chart visuals are not right. 

power bi help2.png

@laurelning, It is difficult to get the reason from the info.  Try following

1. Remove all filters and check for Count As KPI and in the table of data you created is matching or not. Basically only from one table. If this one matches then

2. The add filter and check which filter is causing that

3. If step one is giving the wrong count, then try import this file(table) into a new file and try to check for the count.

@amitchandak  Sorry if this is too simple, could you give me a clue of how to use KPI for count. I am new to Power BI, afraid that I would do it wrong. Thanks.

@amitchandak  Thank you so much. Following your step gives me the right count. But why the filter of year doesn't work?  The report will be used by someone who has very minimum knowledge of Power BI for group retreat. The filter of Year up in the corner for them to (un)check is the best option. I am just wondering how this KPI can be used for easy (un)check. Thanks again. 

power bi help3.png

@laurelning is the filter you have taken in filter pane and one on slicer is from the same column and same table. 

If they are not the same that will open up the option to debug further. 

Not sure if you are using latest version of powerBI, Filter pane is much better in latest version.

@Anonymous  Thank you SO much! You are right. When I updated the Power BI version and reselected the filter of year, it works. 

@Greg_Deckler Yes. You are right.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@laurelning 

We need the raw data in order to troubleshoot your issue.

Please provide the original data source.

Cheers!
A

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Nope, no idea based on what you have provided. Could be an issue with casing in a text column and what is considered unique. Could be a bunch of things but it all depends on your data, relationships, etc. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.