Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Qualube
Helper II
Helper II

why does value in visualisation prefix first

Hi

This might be a strange and easy question to answer but I have looked extensively on the community and the web and can't seem to find a solution to why the values in a visualisation prefic with first??

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Qualube,

You need to create a calculated measure not a column, then when you add it to your table visual you will not have this options.

Check the image below and a simple file attach with the example.measure.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Qualube,

In Power BI there is a default summarization that is made based on the field type for example:

• Whole Number - Sum
  • Text - First
  • Date - Earliest
  • Decimal - Sum

This the default that Power BI makes when you add the columns to your visuals this can be change in the arror in front of the Values.

However you can also change the summarization type for a specific column.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi Felix

Thanks for the reply not sure what you mean by can be change in the arror in front of the Values.

Many Thanks

In each of the values you can change the usmmarization, be aware that based on the type of the column only some options are available.

Untitled.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi

Sorry no I don't understand why text when bought into the values prefixes with "first" and then displays this in the total at the bottom of the column in a visualisation?

Thanks

Hi @Qualube,

Not really sure of what you mean with your question.

Are you refering that when you place a text value on a table and select the First as a summarization the total colum shows the first value of the table?

If this is the question you need to understand that when you make a summarization of any value in Power BI the context influences the result, so when you have a table and you had the text to your table and several other columns you will get the first value that is influenced by the values on that row, the value is filtered by the other lines.

When you get to the total since the context changes and you are looking at the full dataset included in that particular table visual you will get the first value of the table.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi MFelix

I have been learing about row & filter context but I don't know how to stop it happening or more precisely how to alter the context to stop it happening.

Hi @Qualube,

This can be done in several ways depending on the expected end result.

You can remove the totals from your table, but this will take out from all columns and only one, add a measure that removes the total line would be something like this:

FIRST CUSTACCOUNT=
IF (
    HASONEVALUE ( Table[CUSTACCOUNT] );
    FIRSTNONBLANK ( Table[CUSTACCOUNT]; TRUE () );
    BLANK ()
)

Be aware that this measure may be need to changed accordingly to expected result.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi

Tried that but as you said it removes all totals I only wish to stop the text being listed in the totals.

I only have the following options on the value in the visualisation. 

Capture.JPG

Hi @Qualube,

You need to create a calculated measure not a column, then when you add it to your table visual you will not have this options.

Check the image below and a simple file attach with the example.measure.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

That's fantastic, I will spend some time maing sure I know exactly how this measure works (I have so much to learn!!!)

Hi @Qualube,

I also have a lot to learn, DAX and M Language is a very big world.

If you need any help please tell.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi

Thanks so if I understand correctly the recommended measure will only remove the CUSTACCOUNT  total and leave the rest intact?

Correct,

You need to replace the CUSTACCOUNT column by this measure.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

In each of the values you can change the usmmarization, be aware that based on the type of the column only some options are available.

Untitled.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

What visualization are you trying to use here?

It seems that you want to get the data for the earliest date, which is just one value. And the CUSTACCOUNT values or data have several values relative to the earliest date, but you could only display one value, based on what I got from the information you provided. With that, by default, the aggregation for the CUSTACCOUNT data and other data with several values is FIRST. If you want to show all the CUSTACCOUNT data for the earliest date, try using different visuals or charts.

I hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.