Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arunaramana
Helper III
Helper III

why a single-only existing relation between fact-table & dim-table is inactive --AdventureWorksDW

Hello There,

I have a situation -- I noticed that the only exisiting-single relation between the (Fact-table) FactResellerSales and DimReseller (dimension table) is inactive. I happen to notice it as I am unable to filter FactResellerSales -- total-sales by a Reseller-column in DimResller-table -- as I get the same total across all the Resellers in the row.

My concern is, what could the scenarios a relation could be inactive other than when there are multiple-relations between a given fact-table and dimension-table? 

Would anyone please help me understand the scenario? Please find the screenshot of the model. Thank you for giving your valuable time.

Active-Inactive-Relations.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

You can't have multiple filter paths from one table to another without creating ambiguity.

Since you have a path DimSalesTerritory --> DimEmployee --> FactResellerSales, you can't also have an active relationship path DimSalesTerritory --> DimGeography --> DimReseller -- >FactResellersSales.

This article may help:
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/bidirectional-relationships-and-ambiguity-in-dax/

View solution in original post

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @arunaramana 

This relationship is inactive because you already have a relationship to FactResellerSales, through DimGeography to DimSalesTerrritory to DimEmployee. You can't have two active relationships to the same table, no matter how many intermediate tables it goes through.

You'll see you also have an inactive relationship from DimSalesTerritory to FactResellerSales because it also goes through DimEmployee.  

You can elect to make the most frequent relationship active, then use the DAX USERELATIONSHIP function to make the other relationship active for measures that need it.

Hope this helps

Stuart  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @arunaramana 

This relationship is inactive because you already have a relationship to FactResellerSales, through DimGeography to DimSalesTerrritory to DimEmployee. You can't have two active relationships to the same table, no matter how many intermediate tables it goes through.

You'll see you also have an inactive relationship from DimSalesTerritory to FactResellerSales because it also goes through DimEmployee.  

You can elect to make the most frequent relationship active, then use the DAX USERELATIONSHIP function to make the other relationship active for measures that need it.

Hope this helps

Stuart  

Thanks for your support, Staurt!

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

You can't have multiple filter paths from one table to another without creating ambiguity.

Since you have a path DimSalesTerritory --> DimEmployee --> FactResellerSales, you can't also have an active relationship path DimSalesTerritory --> DimGeography --> DimReseller -- >FactResellersSales.

This article may help:
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/bidirectional-relationships-and-ambiguity-in-dax/

Thanks, Alexis... 

I remember the point you explained in the response; I think I overlooked the relationship path. Thank you agian!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.