Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kimhyunchae91
Frequent Visitor

where to verify why my data is displaying (blank) values?

Hi PBI Community,

I have an issue where data is showing up as (blank) but when i check the query editor, none of the values under the column is (blank)... 

blank.PNGWhere should i be verifying to figure out why these datas are being manipulated to (blank)? 

Topic table & Speaker Status contains these blank values i am unaware of...

I verified the "model" tab to see if this specific table[column] has any (blank) values and it does not.

Any tips or troubleshooting ideas would be great!

Please let me know if anyone needs additional information...

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

DAX will create a blank record if you have data in a many side of a relationship if a record for it doesn't exist on the one side of the relationship. So if you have sales data for Ford, Chevy, VW, and BMW in your sales data, but your "Manufacturer" table only has Ford, Chevy, and VW, DAX will create the blank for the BMW data. You can prevent this in measures using DISTINCT() vs VALUES() for example, but that won't help with slicers.

You'll need to filter the data out in Power Query before it gets loaded. So either add the BMW record to your manufacturer table, or remove BMW sales data from the sales data before it loads into DAX.

You can find this out in Power Query by merging (in my example) the manufacturer table to the sales table, and tell it to only show records in the sales tble that do not exist in the manufacturer table - a Right-Anti join.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

DAX will create a blank record if you have data in a many side of a relationship if a record for it doesn't exist on the one side of the relationship. So if you have sales data for Ford, Chevy, VW, and BMW in your sales data, but your "Manufacturer" table only has Ford, Chevy, and VW, DAX will create the blank for the BMW data. You can prevent this in measures using DISTINCT() vs VALUES() for example, but that won't help with slicers.

You'll need to filter the data out in Power Query before it gets loaded. So either add the BMW record to your manufacturer table, or remove BMW sales data from the sales data before it loads into DAX.

You can find this out in Power Query by merging (in my example) the manufacturer table to the sales table, and tell it to only show records in the sales tble that do not exist in the manufacturer table - a Right-Anti join.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
tarunsingla
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

It could be a result of the relationships between tables. A table in itself may not have any blank values but if that table is used in relationships, it may cause blanks.

Please share the pbix file for more inputs.

Regards,

Tarun

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.