Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

where to install Desktop to match service configuration

I have been running into a configuration mismatch problem between Power BI Desktop and Power BI service.  I use shared capacity in the Power BI service, and Power BI Desktop is installed on my local workstation.  So, naturally, I have different configurations (i.e., RAM / memory, CPU, disk) in both "environments".  Also, all of my reports use Import / Scheduled Refresh mode.  So, I am impacted more by configuration differences (as opposed to, say, Direct Query).  I have had several instances where a report refresh in Desktop runs significantly longer (or, sometimes, shorter) than a report refresh in the service.  My goal is to make the configurations (at least memory and CPU) of both as identical as possible, so that I can ensure that a report will refresh in a desired amount of time before it gets released to production (i.e., published to the service).  How can I achieve this?  Since I can't do anything about the service configuration (e.g., I have no control over the 1-[GB] memory limit), I have to configure the Desktop installation appropriately.  Should I install Desktop on a machine that is configured to match the specs of the service?  If so, what specs of the service should I copy into the configuration of that machine? 

3 REPLIES 3
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @Anonymous 

To my knowledge, it could not achieve in power bi for now.

Power bi desktop performance is based on the computer configuration, and also affected by network performance.

power bi service performance is based on the could service and network performance.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I think pro and premium versions are the answer if you are looking at performance and capacity with power bi service.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak

I don't understand.  How will upgrading to Premium (dedicated capacity) resolve my problems in Desktop?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.