Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

what if parameter - item limitation

I have a what if parameter with value from 1 to 8,000 with interval value set to 1. The visual is set to display single value. When I type in certain value within the range, it sometimes took it as is, but other time will change to a different number on it's own. I saw some posts that other people experience the same issue as I have, and the fix still not out yet. Does any one if there is a limit for this? I am now to lower the upper range and increse the interval value, but it's kind of "try and error" approach which still don't know if what combination may\may not to work. Also, to change the visual to other display method (drop down or list, etc..) is not acceptable to our users.

Thanks for your help!

Wenchi

2 REPLIES 2
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Based on my research , it’s a limitation of what-if parameter when your number range is larger than 1000. there’s no solution to fix the limitation currently, for more details, please check this case.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/what-if-parameter/td-p/353262

BTW,you can vote the idea here to help bring the feature coming soon:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/32797822-what-if-parameter-slicer-limitations

Alternatively, you can split your number  range into several What-if parameters and multiply them as below:

I broke the number range 1-2000 to 1-200 by interval 1 and 1-10 by interval 1, if you’d like to get the measure of column2*1999, the formula could be like this:

Measure = MAX([Column2])*Parameter[Parameter Value]*10+MAX([Column2])*'Parameter 2'[Parameter Value 2]

111.png

Best regards,

Dina Ye

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks Dina. I cast my vote and with the current vote count, I don't think the fix will come out any time soon. Your workaround can't be applied to our current report since we have 14 what if parameters already. I really don't have to much room to add more parameters and it's really difficult to work if we have a wide range of value. I've also vote to have input box available in PBI and that might help me to solve the problem. Wenchi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.