Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

electrobrit
Post Patron
Post Patron

week over week but same day comparison

I have 2 tables: Date and Cases which is daily detail of the cases coming in daily.

I would like a simple line chart to show weekly comparison with the past 7 days and a line comparing the previous 7 days. 
This would be whatever I'm measuring-total cases opened, closed, by team, closure time, etc.

Need help with the measures to do this, nothing I'm trying is working. Someone previously gave me total for prev week but this is not what I needed. I wanted daily (like below).

DateCase closure time (days) this weekCase closure time (days) previous Week
Saturday, October 27, 20185 
Sunday, October 28, 20186 
Monday, October 29, 20188 
Tuesday, October 30, 20184 
Wednesday, October 31, 20185 
Thursday, November 1, 20183 
Friday, November 2, 20182 
Saturday, November 3, 2018325
Sunday, November 4, 2018246
Monday, November 5, 2018198
Tuesday, November 6, 2018804
Wednesday, November 7, 2018505
Thursday, November 8, 2018543
Friday, November 9, 2018432
Saturday, November 10, 2018132
Sunday, November 11, 2018224
Monday, November 12, 2018319
Tuesday, November 13, 2018180
Wednesday, November 14, 2018 50
Thursday, November 15, 2018 54
Friday, November 16, 2018 43
Saturday, November 17, 2018 1
Sunday, November 18, 2018 2
Monday, November 19, 2018 3
Tuesday, November 20, 2018 1
14 REPLIES 14
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@electrobrit Please try this as a "New Column"

CaseClosurePrevWeek = LOOKUPVALUE(Test79PrevDay[CaseClosureThisWeek],Test79PrevDay[Date],DATEADD(Test79PrevDay[Date],-7,DAY))

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Thank you @PattemManohar. One issue, I don't know how to solve. My case closure time is in the cases table 'duration_days'

Using your calc column-i used this below
CaseClosurePrevWeek = LOOKUPVALUE(VW_Cases[Duration_Days], 'Date'[Date],DATEADD('Date'[Date],-7,DAY)) 

I am getting this message
A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again!

@electrobrit I believe the "Date" field and "Duration_Days" in the sample data are in the same table. Is that not the case ? Please confirm.
I can see that you are using two different tables in the DAX expression. The DAX that I've provided is based on the assumption that both fields are in the same table.

@PattemManohar I like what you did though. My original data table I was showing what I wanted to be able to get to in the solution. Sorry about that.
They are 2 different tables. I have a date table and the case table and have related them. 

@electrobrit Ok !! Then, on what field you have linked Case table and Date Table. Is that Date field ? then you must have Date Field in Case Table as well, so you can use that as part of your LOOKUPVALUE expression instead from Date Table. If that is not the case then please share more details about case table (ideally data model)

@PattemManohar thank you so much, sorry for being vague. Maybe this is why I'm having trouble with this calculation! 

I have a date table and a case table with with a date (Date of Case Creation) which is how the tables are related
DateTable(Date) and CaseTable(CaseCreated)

So you are saying to just use that CaseCreated date?

@electrobrit Yes please, I don't see any reason why you can't use the Date field in Case Table which will solve your problem doing so. Give a try with that and lets see if you have any issues.

@PattemManohar

CaseClosurePrevWeek=LOOKUPVALUE(VW_Cases[Duration_Days],VW_Cases[CaseCreatedOn],DATEADD(VW_Cases[CaseCreatedOn],-7,DAY)) 

getting the same error.  "A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected".

any thoughts and thanks, you've been helpful!!!

@electrobrit Does the table contain duplicate values in "CaseCreatedOn" date field. The sample data provided contains unique values and the logic is working fine for that. If there are duplicates then it does require a tweak to it. Please check and confirm.

it would have duplicate values because multiple cases are created on any given date. I apologize that table is confusing, that's not the data, it was to conceptualize the result I needed. 

Any thoughts on going back to using the DATE table, this contains no dups. OR SUGGESTIONS?

@PattemManohar

@electrobrit I would like to see your data model and also the table structure of case table or please provide the exact sample data to replicate your issue.

@PattemManohar
I can't thank you enough. I'm sure I'm learning something big here but I have spent so much time and still no avail.

Attached or via link is a sample pbix report with similar data.

Sample pbix

Again, thank you in advance. 

@PattemManohar did you have any feedback?

am I missing something in DurationDays? this is how long a case is open. 
I can't figure out what to do.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.