cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hbrinck Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

webservice multiple calls after "add as new query"

We're calling a status-api (webservice) that containes som main data and 4 different "sub-lists"

To access each of the lists we right-clicked on the "List"-link in the Query Editor and selected "Add as New Query", this allowed us to create new "PBI-tables" for each sub-list in the web-response.

This means that we get all data using only one call to the service.

But, when we do "Refresh" (manual) PBI is actually calling our service 5 times, instead of only calling it once.

Any ideas on what's going on?

2 REPLIES 2
v-xjiin-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: webservice multiple calls after "add as new query"

Hi @hbrinck,

Per my understanding about your description, there're 4 sub-lists and you have created 4 new queries for all of these sub-lists. Right? 

If I misunderstand your requirement, please feel free to correct me.

And if all these 4 new queries are returning different results. Then Power BI will call the service 5 times, as there are 5 queries. Main query and 4 new queries.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

hbrinck Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: webservice multiple calls after "add as new query"

The status-api is returning the same result (since all calls are within 0.1 seconds)

I expected the sublist to be dependant on the main "source" since they are parts on the same query.

If PBI cant detect this on it's own, how can i create my datasets to only call 1 and re-use the response into several datasets?

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Kudos Received Badges Coming

New Kudos Received Badges Coming

Kudos to you if you earned one of these! Check your inbox for a notification.

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Learn about the award-winning innovation that was implemented across Microsoft’s Business Applications Communities.

Power Platform World Tour

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,873)