Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Draszor
Helper III
Helper III

way to dynamically change table’s rows and their granularity in Power BI

Hi All, 

I am searching for efficient solution of the following problem:

Having an extended table consisting of many descriptive columns (for example: product, product group, customer, country of order, city of order etc) I would like to create a table visual (or matrix) and slicer, fulfilling the below conditions:

- slicer - containing all descriptive dimensions of the extended table and being set for multi-choice

- table - containing one (or more) column with measure (being for instance Sum of Amount or sum of Quantity), and another column that would show content of dimensions that I click in the slicer (to the left of measure column).

the key functionality I look for:

I would like my table to behave like that:

1. if I choose in the slicer the Product, then my table shows me the Amount split per products

2. If, keeping product still chosen in my slicer, I click the "City", THEN SECOND COLUMN IS ADDED TO MY TABLE, WITH CITY. so that chosing Product AND city in my slicer, I get product and city as columns in the table and then I get the amount for each valid combination of those two

3. clicking 3rd dimension in the slicer, I get 3rd column in my table - Product-City and for instance customer)

etc. 

I've found some ways for creating dynamic tables, however none of those did propose solution so simple and elegant like the above. 

for now, I use quite extensivelu the dynamic tables, however I have two slicers with all dimensions (with only single choice) and I always have 2 columns for the chosen dimensions content in my table. quite a limitation. 

I was using previously QlikView, and up there this was doable (with some non standard formulas) and worked just as described above. hope the same is possible for PBI>

thanks for your answers

5 REPLIES 5
Draszor
Helper III
Helper III

Hello, I come back to this issue. I am addicted from working in click --> get way, and I miss this functionality a lot in PBI matrixes or tables. To overcome this problem I use the trick shown in the attached video LINK

the problem is, that to be able to dynamically add 3 columns, I need to create 3 unpivoted tables in PBI Query, and have 3 single-selection slicers with all dimensions in the report. 

I aim for having just one slicer with all dimensions (column names) in the report, and by multi sepecting those dimensions, to get them in the matrix/table. 

Any idea how that could be done?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Draszor Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi @parry2k 

thank you for your coments. 

As adviced, I wrote a simple report with manually entered data to ilustrate the functionality I use now (tab Dynamic Table) and this one I would like to have (tab What I would like to get)

Here is the LINK to my pbi file

hope now it is more clear what I would like to achieve. 

BR

Hi @Draszor ,

Is this what you want?

v-lionel-msft_0-1614325701064.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi, 

No, it is not. 

I would like to get the following interaction:

1. I mark Acc G 0 in the slicer. RESULT: I see one column with Acc G 0 content + one column with values in my matrix

2. having Acc G 0 marked, I mark Acc G 1 in the slicer. RESULT, I see 2 columns next to ech other, with the content of Acc G 0 and Acc G 1 + column with values

3. keeping those two Attributes marked, I choose a third one (Cost Center for instance). RESULT - now I see 3 columns with the content of Acc G 0, Acc G 1 and Cost center + column with values (for each combination of atributes)

etc.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.