cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nishantha Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

vlookup function in power bi

Hello,

QQ.pngI need to know how we can find the unique value in a table in order to generate a result in another table. Basically its like a Vlookup function in excel sheet. Hear with I attached the picture for more clarity. 

**(need to find relevent (month & material) unit price from the table-1 and calculate the total price in table-2)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: vlookup function in power bi

You have to unpivot your Table 1: Check Month-column -> unpivot other columns

That will return an column "attribute" with the Material codes and a value-column with the prices.

Next merge this table with table 2 on Month- and Material-code columns (if you do it in the query editor).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Highlighted
Tallies Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hello, 

I recreated the tables and took the following steps in Query Editor:

1. Create a unique field in Table1. To do this you need to unpivot the data first (Select month then on the transform tab select "unpivot other columns"). Next add a custom column by concatenating [Month] & [Attribute]

2. Create a unique field in Table2. Add a custom column by concatenating [Month] & [Attribute]

3. Close and apply. (Relationship between the tables should be picked up automatically)

Next go to the data view to view the tables. 

1. Select Table2. On the modeling tab select "New Column" and lookup the Price using the unique fields - 

PriceLookup = LOOKUPVALUE( Table1[Value], Table1[Custom],Table2[Custom])
2. Add another column to calculate the cost. 

There might be more efficient solutions, but this one seemed to work.
2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

You have to unpivot your Table 1: Check Month-column -> unpivot other columns

That will return an column "attribute" with the Material codes and a value-column with the prices.

Next merge this table with table 2 on Month- and Material-code columns (if you do it in the query editor).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Highlighted
Tallies Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hello, 

I recreated the tables and took the following steps in Query Editor:

1. Create a unique field in Table1. To do this you need to unpivot the data first (Select month then on the transform tab select "unpivot other columns"). Next add a custom column by concatenating [Month] & [Attribute]

2. Create a unique field in Table2. Add a custom column by concatenating [Month] & [Attribute]

3. Close and apply. (Relationship between the tables should be picked up automatically)

Next go to the data view to view the tables. 

1. Select Table2. On the modeling tab select "New Column" and lookup the Price using the unique fields - 

PriceLookup = LOOKUPVALUE( Table1[Value], Table1[Custom],Table2[Custom])
2. Add another column to calculate the cost. 

There might be more efficient solutions, but this one seemed to work.