Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

visual filter problem--unpredictable behavior

Hello fellow Daxer's

I am displaying 2 text columns, each in it's own visual from a file that I'm filtering using a slicer via a relationship.  I slice the "one" side...and get one record for each year in the related file.  Easy enough.

Photo 1 shows one of the table visuals, filtered by ProviderSlicerCount is 1.  Perfect

Photo 2 shows the other identical visual (different column), filtered by ProviderSlicerCount is 1...and it's weird.

Photo 3 shows the bins so you can see the filter

Photo 4 shows the dax for the ProviderSliderCount

Photo 5 shows that weird visual when I also put the ProviderSliderCount as a field in the table...and it appears as a row??? That doesn't happen with the first one.

And this morning I got a frown but only when I put the ProviderSliderCount in as a field.  Any thoughts/workarounds?

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

Capture2.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hey @Sean, I ended up using @Anonymous's suggestion in the thread you referenced since it gets to the issue of making ONE selection.  If there are multiple boxes checked, the slicer check is N.  His and your solutions are very clever!   Thanks to everyone as always! Tom

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @ThomasDay

Try this

providerslicercount= If(ISFILTERED(HospProviders[SLICERFIELD]);COUNTROWS(HospProviders))

Lima - Peru
ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

That's a great idea!  I'll try it.  Tom

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion
ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hey @Sean, I ended up using @Anonymous's suggestion in the thread you referenced since it gets to the issue of making ONE selection.  If there are multiple boxes checked, the slicer check is N.  His and your solutions are very clever!   Thanks to everyone as always! Tom

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ThomasDay Great! We are in the mid-90s pushing 100 - and I'm about take my own advice... Smiley LOL

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

The purpose of the measure--and the reason it's used as an "on the fly" filter is to restrict showing info until a valid selection is made.  That means that until a facility is selected via the slicer (and ONLY ONE facility is selected)--the details in the visuals should not show.   So the ProviderSlicerCount measure is 1--show things, if not 1--don't. 

Screenshot 1--when a selection is made...all is well and info works well.

Screenshot 2--when a selection has not been made--nothing should show...and that's the problem.

Does that help size up the issue anyone?  Ideas?  Thanks, Tom

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

@ThomasDay Having a hard time following this one. the dax formula is cut off.. is it possible that somehow the filter is only applying to one part of the fact table based on the measure?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer--that's the whole filter formula.  The slicer selects a provider from the provider table.  The filter counts the rows in the providertable and if that's one--as in one row, then the details on the visuals are OK to display.  If the slicer has been cleared, the row count will be large, and if more than one is picked, it's not one.  And perhaps there's a time when there are no rows displayed but I can't think of when.

The row count is of the table that the slicer is attached to...so I'm not sure how it might be applying to one part of the fact table.  That help?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.