Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

using SSRS for PBIX files

Just wanting to confirm if anyone else is using this SSRS (not Power BI report server), that SSRS only stores the file as it would be on a file server, there is no interactivity.  Basically its just another way of storing pbix's as you would on a network drive?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@vanessafvg

To have ineractivity with .pbix, you have to use Power BI Report Server, and you need to use Power BI Desktop for Report Server to publish your .pbix file.

Regards,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@vanessafvg

Reporting Services doesn't store the .rdl file directly, it acutally stores the entire content of the .rdl file. It's a Binary Type column in ReportServer database. All reports related information is stored in this database. 

Capture.PNG

For Power BI, your published .pbix is stored on Power BI Service Cloud Cluster.

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft sorry simon not sure if i explained my issue properly.  I have pbix files that i have uploaded on to SSRS (on prem).  when i click on the file it just wants me to download, is that how a pbix works on SSRS, no interactivity you jsut download the file and use power bi desktop?  or i am i missing something

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

@vanessafvg

To have ineractivity with .pbix, you have to use Power BI Report Server, and you need to use Power BI Desktop for Report Server to publish your .pbix file.

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft cool thanks, so in other words SSRS is really just a file repository

I am trying to do the same render the  PowerBi report in SSRS 

I came accross this post

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Technical-Preview-of-Power-BI-Reports-in-SQL-Server-Re...

It looks like its possible ? 

Why does my also only download ? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.