Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bvilten
Helper II
Helper II

using R to remove and replace numbers

Hello All,

I have been round the web and not found a solution, hoping you can point me in the right direction. In my data I have a column that contains a string of names:

JD;#1039;#Brian;#160;#Paul;#926;#Jeff;#1789;#Chris;#2919 I need to ";#[0-9]" with a comma.

So expected output is:

JD,Brian,Paul,Jeff,Chris

I have tried all of the transform builtin functions I think of but nothing quite right. Perhaps regex via R?

11 REPLIES 11
LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @bvilten,

you do not need Regular Expression for this pattern, try:

let
    Source = Text.Combine(
                List.Transform(
                    List.Alternate( Text.Split("JD;#1039;#Brian;#160;#Paul;#926;#Jeff;#1789;#Chris;#2919",";"), 1, 1, 1 ),
                    each Text.Replace(_, "#", "")
                ),
                ","
            )
in
    Source

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Hello and thank you for the reply.

Yes I agree with in that your code does solve the example. However the example is just that. There are thousands of rows within this column all with various names and number combinations.

- Bob

@bvilten

can you post a more represantitive sample?

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Below is a typical sample of part of the data, The data is FirstName LastName, but I have removed the LastName.

Assigned BRMsBusiness Lead(s)Implementation Team Lead
 Josh;#174;#Judy;#87 
Jeff R;#62Julie;#2826 
 Jason;#1235 
Jeff R;#62Tammi;#54 

Cyndi T;#323;#Kim F;#187;#Cathy H;#180  
Kim F;#187Dale;#86 

Tareq;#2570  

JD;#1039;#Paul;#739 
Kirk S;#345  
Scott;#966  
Chris;#203  

Jeff;#62  
Jackie E;#525;#Yolanda B;#721;#William W;#142  
  David W;#535

Krishna;#2221 Ray G;#1544;#Chandan S;#538;#Paul S;#739;#Chris B;#191
Chris;#629Tim;#1079;#Chris;#1432 
 Mike;#1601Mike C;#1601;#Michael D;#2081
 JD;#1039;#Brian;#160;#Paul;#926;#Jeff;#1789;#Chris;#2919 

@bvilten

the data presented below follows the same pattern as the previous post: 'Name + ; + Digits', the previous solution should still work as far as I see.

You would need just to concatenate the three columns shown into 1 column and then run the function I posted, have you given it a shot?

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

The columns must remain as individual columns so I could apply it 3 times. I'm sorry but I don't understand exactly how to use it. It appears that you have hard coded the "search in" string? 

@bvilten

try like this:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText         ("fVJNi8IwEP0robl6aJImaZmb7X6gCIsWZBEPwVYa7AdbdaH/fie17lpWPc7kzZv33mSz8Yg38WbNsQDKdAB0ds46oKHGLvG2k403y/d7sgSquAOeS5sD5SFXv4CewBybGhm4kPcHU1NVFqgMRmPkQRV3dWZJClRwAXRuK/KK5KEGGptT0ZF3V/mjkT8QthJTospQPaBPTZt/oQup/Sciel8JUvoiAvphziVQLaKbje2BrFBjIEdzq11zOgGNlBp7Klp7xKW+eLLTZTYkdtM0u4PNyQvGxyXQz6Y0dWbIFOVwBnRty9KaiqxRasDvkifm22YOIPE+/7fOUVlRGxTHORtelqYjb8goA/wUceE21s6tFOElDFdol0xvzKlhEbt1qrjLKrWVi1BfgU6k4COFC3vAazHls6Eg8aUEurC7wuQlSVxwIbtzl2lrTd3DrzeKuMJv3AfJdPi3l0dsON72Bw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Assigned BRMs" = _t, #"Business Lead(s)" = _t, #"Implementation Team Lead" = _t]),

fnExtractNames = (name as text) as text =>
        Text.Combine(
                List.Transform(
                    List.Alternate( Text.Split(name,";"), 1, 1, 1 ),
                ),
                ","
            ),

ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Assigned BRMs", type text}, {"Business Lead(s)", type text}, {"Implementation Team Lead", type text}}),

AddNamesColumn = Table.AddColumn(
                            ChangedType, 
                            "Names", 
                            each fnExtractNames(
                                        Text.Combine(
                                            List.RemoveMatchingItems({[#"Assigned BRMs"], [#"Business Lead(s)"], [#"Implementation Team Lead"]}, {"", " "}), 
                                            ";"
                                        )
                                 ),
                            type text)
in
    AddNamesColumn

2019-02-01_8-44-35.jpg

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Thank you that is so very close I will keep messing around with it. What I need to happen is that the cleaned strings remain in the source column. The names can be concatonated olny within their own column.

@LivioLanzo Thank you for your help.

In the end I could not figure out how to change the source to use a local xlsx file correctly.

I was able to get it done by using the following DAX in a calculated column

CleanedSponsor = SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(owssvr[Sponsor],"0",""),"1",""),"2",""),"3",""),"4",""),"5",""),"6",""),"7",""),"8",""),"9",""),";#;#",", "),";#","")

I would still be interested in pursuing the solution you proposed if you care to spend a little more time on it.

Thanks again

Hi @bvilten

this only requires a small change, try this:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText         ("fVJNi8IwEP0robl6aJImaZmb7X6gCIsWZBEPwVYa7AdbdaH/fie17lpWPc7kzZv33mSz8Yg38WbNsQDKdAB0ds46oKHGLvG2k403y/d7sgSquAOeS5sD5SFXv4CewBybGhm4kPcHU1NVFqgMRmPkQRV3dWZJClRwAXRuK/KK5KEGGptT0ZF3V/mjkT8QthJTospQPaBPTZt/oQup/Sciel8JUvoiAvphziVQLaKbje2BrFBjIEdzq11zOgGNlBp7Klp7xKW+eLLTZTYkdtM0u4PNyQvGxyXQz6Y0dWbIFOVwBnRty9KaiqxRasDvkifm22YOIPE+/7fOUVlRGxTHORtelqYjb8goA/wUceE21s6tFOElDFdol0xvzKlhEbt1qrjLKrWVi1BfgU6k4COFC3vAazHls6Eg8aUEurC7wuQlSVxwIbtzl2lrTd3DrzeKuMJv3AfJdPi3l0dsON72Bw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Assigned BRMs" = _t, #"Business Lead(s)" = _t, #"Implementation Team Lead" = _t]),

Text.Combine(
                List.Transform(
                ),
                ","
            ),

ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Assigned BRMs", type text}, {"Business Lead(s)", type text}, {"Implementation Team Lead", type text}}),

AddNamesColumn = Table.TransformColumns(ChangedType, { {"Assigned BRMs",fnExtractNames,type text}, {"Business Lead(s)",fnExtractNames,type text}, {"Implementation Team Lead",fnExtractNames,type text} } )
in
    AddNamesColumn

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Hello,

please explain what this text is (source line) and where it comes from

("fVJNi8IwEP0robl6aJImaZmb7X6gCIsWZBEPwVYa7AdbdaH/fie17lpWPc7kzZv33mSz8Yg38WbNsQDKdAB0ds46oKHGLvG2k403y/d7sgSquAOeS5sD5SFXv4CewBybGhm4kPcHU1NVFqgMRmPkQRV3dWZJClRwAXRuK/KK5KEGGptT0ZF3V/mjkT8QthJTospQPaBPTZt/oQup/Sciel8JUvoiAvphziVQLaKbje2BrFBjIEdzq11zOgGNlBp7Klp7xKW+eLLTZTYkdtM0u4PNyQvGxyXQz6Y0dWbIFOVwBnRty9KaiqxRasDvkifm22YOIPE+/7fOUVlRGxTHORtelqYjb8goA/wUceE21s6tFOElDFdol0xvzKlhEbt1qrjLKrWVi1BfgU6k4COFC3vAazHls6Eg8aUEurC7wuQlSVxwIbtzl2lrTd3DrzeKuMJv3AfJdPi3l0dsON72Bw=="

@LivioLanzo wrote:

Hi @bvilten

this only requires a small change, try this:

let

Text.Combine(
                List.Transform(
                ),
                ","
            ),

AddNamesColumn = Table.TransformColumns(ChangedType, { {"Assigned BRMs",fnExtractNames,type text}, {"Business Lead(s)",fnExtractNames,type text}, {"Implementation Team Lead",fnExtractNames,type text} } )
in
    AddNamesColumn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.