Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bglibkowski123a
Frequent Visitor

use a value in one column in a second column formula in Dax

I have two tables: 

Table 1 is Called "Data"

Data Table.PNG

I have a second Table called "Lookup"

Lookup.PNG

My question: How do I replace the "[V2]" in this formmula "DataColumn Avg = AVERAGEX(Data,Data[V2])" with a "conditional variable" that allows the value in the Variable row to "conditionally determine which Row in the Data Table is called to be averaged"?  In other words, in row 1 I want V1 to be in the formula ("DataColumn Avg = AVERAGEX(Data,Data[V1])") and in row 2 I want V2 to be in teh formula ("DataColumn Avg = AVERAGEX(Data,Data[V2])".

I can't figure out how to write this formula.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2 REPLIES 2
bglibkowski123a
Frequent Visitor

I had a typo "Row" reference should be "column" correction below.  Also cleaned up some other confusing language in the question....

XXXXXXXXXX Corrected Question Text XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

My question: How do I replace the "[V2]" in this formula "DataColumn Avg = AVERAGEX(Data,Data[V2])" with a "conditional variable" that allows the value in a given row of the the Variable column to "conditionally determine which Column in the Data Table is called to be averaged"?  In other words, in row 1 I want V1 to be in the formula ("DataColumn Avg = AVERAGEX(Data,Data[V1])") and in row 2 I want V2 to be in the formula ("DataColumn Avg = AVERAGEX(Data,Data[V2])".

I can't figure out how to write this formula.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hey,

unfortunately there is no DAX formula that is able to translate into an object reference, for this reason you have to use something like this

DataColumn Avg = 
SWITCH(
  TRUE()
  ,'LookupTable'[LookupColumn] = "V1", AVERAGEX(Data,Data[V1])
  ,'LookupTable'[LookupColumn] = "V2", AVERAGEX(Data,Data[V2])
)

Another approach could also be to transpose your data table into Key, Value pairs during the import, then use the value from the lookup table to filter on "V1". This means create a data table that looks like this

KEY | Value

V1 | 1

V1 | 3

V2 | 2

Hopefully this gets you started

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.