Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

philseim
Frequent Visitor

use a date to filter one table and then use that filter to calculate a value for another table

Please help.

I am trying to filter a table based on a nother table but then use a date filter on top of that.

I have three table a date table a client table and a submissions table.

The date table is a normal calendar table which I want to use as a slicer. I am trying to build a matrix where users can select the period where I can see when a client has become a first time claimant, and then see there subsequent submissions for the year. 

A simplified example:

ClientTable 

First Claim DateClient Code
01/15/2018ABC
01/23/2018BED

Submission Table  
Sent DateClient CodeAmount
01/15/2018ABC100
09/22/2018ABC120
01/23/2018BED240
01/20/2018EFG130

I want to get to a final matrix that should look like this if the date filter for the year was selected.

JanSeptember
Number first time claimants2 
Submission Vlaue340120

EFG shouldn't be in the value as it should be excluded as its not a first time claimant for the period

2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @philseim

After my test, you could do these follow my steps as below:

Step1:

Merge two table( ClientTable and Submission Table) in Edit Queries as new query( or on the basis of the original table)

4.JPG

Step2:

expand the table  and Cloes&Apply

Step3:

Create a type table as row value of matrix

5.JPG

Step4:

Create the relationship between merge table and date table

6.JPG

Step5

create a column that to judge if the Client Code it is not a first time claimant for the period

first time claimant = LOOKUPVALUE(Merge1[Client Code],Merge1[ClientTable.Client Code],Merge1[Client Code])

7.JPG

Step6:

Add this measure

measure = SWITCH(TRUE()
,SELECTEDVALUE(Table1[Type])="Number first time claimants",CALCULATE(COUNTA(Merge1[ClientTable.Client Code]))
,SELECTEDVALUE(Table1[Type])="Submission Vlaue",CALCULATE(SUM(Merge1[Amount]
)))

Step7:

Drag the field into matrix and drag the column first time claimant into visual level filter and set filter blank value

8.JPG

here is pbix file, please try it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/deeqeer7cy81o95/use%20a%20date%20to%20filter%20one%20table%20and%20then%20...

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks but I think I've left something out which is part of the question. So in  my example I put client EFG out the client table but in reality they would be a first time claimant but the date would be out the range I was looking at depending on the slicer.

If for example my date slicer was for the year 2018 and EFG was a first time claimant before that say for example 7/7/2017, they shouldn't be included and their submissions won't be in. The problem is with the lookup they will look as though they are. Is there a way to do a lookup on that column and date?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.