Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

diegoadum
Helper I
Helper I

use a cell value to fill a column

Hi there! I'm trying to fill up a column with the Country information from where the info belong to. The country name is located in a particular Excel cell. Is there a way to do that?

Many thanks in advance!

PS: The country is also part of the name of each excel file, so that could work also if there is a way to read it into power bi.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
diegoadum
Helper I
Helper I

Well, I did some movements and got what I was looking for. Basically, I load a copy of the same excel file and using the query editor, I took off all the columns but the one that have the country name on one of the cells. Them, I remove the previous rows (3) and them I used the function which keep the upper rows. At this point the only one I need if the first row, which has the Country name. Them I append the 2 tables. The result at this point looks like a new column added to the previous ones but the new column only have data in the first row, which is the country. Using the fill up function I populated the country name on all the rows and as the last step I have to remove the first row in this view. The final result, I got a new column with the country name for each Excel file I loaded. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
diegoadum
Helper I
Helper I

Well, I did some movements and got what I was looking for. Basically, I load a copy of the same excel file and using the query editor, I took off all the columns but the one that have the country name on one of the cells. Them, I remove the previous rows (3) and them I used the function which keep the upper rows. At this point the only one I need if the first row, which has the Country name. Them I append the 2 tables. The result at this point looks like a new column added to the previous ones but the new column only have data in the first row, which is the country. Using the fill up function I populated the country name on all the rows and as the last step I have to remove the first row in this view. The final result, I got a new column with the country name for each Excel file I loaded. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.