Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

al4x
Frequent Visitor

uphill filtering when using two data tables

Hi,

Having a problem which may be as much a methodology issue as a technical one.

i have a scenario where i use key tables to filter 2 data tables simulateously.

[Data table1]*----1[key table]1----*[Data table2]

There are many 'key tables'.

The problem i am having is i want the key tables to filter based on other key tables selections

For example i wouldnt want to see every Regionin the world in my 'keyRegion' table if i am (in a different filter) only looking at clientX in using the KeyClient table.

I know if i had one table i could simply create fitlers from this, but with two tables i cant figure it out.

i know with one table i can use a star schema method and cross filtering, but with multiple data tables i cannot do this.

im half way to setting up a whole series of key tables that filter each other or using the DAX method here LINK

OR..more likely..i may be askign something that should never be an issue and i need to reevaluate from the bottom up.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Demo schema

demo schema.png

2 REPLIES 2

This is effectively a many to many pattern. Have a read of my article here explaining how to push a filter from one data table onto anoher lookup table. The examples are not quite the same, but the principle is. 

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/many-many-relationships-dax-explained/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thanks for the link, i have been reading it.

Has this scenario come about (in my case) from poor design, or is it something fairly typical?

Im trying to get my head around the above.

I can filter using my key tables, it just means the end user has to scroll through lots of fields that arent necessary.

i will attempt to work through your article. I  admit i struggle with 'Calculate' but also know i need to get more famililar with it

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors