cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apmer Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

update slicer with visualization click

I am relatively new to Power BI and have been leveraging as many resources as I can to bring myself up to speed quickly. This is an amazing tool to use for visualizations but it definitely has restrictions that I'm working through. Currently, I am looking for a way to make the slicers on my report automatically update when another visualization is clicked (i.e. single bar on a bar chart). I have edited my interactions so that the slicers are set to filter on changes from the bar chart, but the selections in the slicers still do not update. If I make a change to another slicer, it works fine.

An example of what I am trying to accomplish is as such:

• A bar chart displays the total # of department stores in each city within a particular region.
  • A slicer contains the store names
  • When I click on a city in the bar chart, the slicer should dynamically update to reflect only the stores that are available in that region

Any thoughts of how to make this happen? If it is not a feature already available, is there possibly a workaround through scripting?

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: update slicer with visualization click

Hi @apmer,

The requirement that to update the slicer according to the selection in another visualization is not achievable. Interaction filters doesn't work from visualization to slicer. For this feature request, you could submit an idea at this page.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
apmer Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your response Yuliana. I must admit that I am more than a little surprised that such basic functionality has not been considered before now in such a powerful tool. Seeing my objective, to be able to filter across pages using visualizations, is there a way that this can be done? My whole objective with updating a slicer with the visualization click is so that the slicer would then dynamically update another page that contains the supporting data for my dashboard. Is this feasible with Power BI, or should I abandon Power BI and look for another solution?

Thanks again
APMer

v-yulgu-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @apmer,

My whole objective with updating a slicer with the visualization click is so that the slicer would then dynamically update another page that contains the supporting data for my dashboard. Is this feasible with Power BI, or should I abandon Power BI and look for another solution?

You can enable the sync slicer across report pages following this document.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 155 members 1,648 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: